Donald Matthew Macek (born July 21, 1954) is an American former football player who was a center in the National Football League (NFL) for the San Diego Chargers for fourteen seasons. Macek played college football for the Boston College Eagles. He was drafted by the Chargers in the second round of the 1976 NFL Draft. Despite being underrated throughout his career, some have considered him among the top performing NFL centers during the 1980s and the best Charger at that position up to that point in time. In 1991, he was inducted into the Boston College Varsity Club Athletic Hall of Fame  and to the Chargers Hall of Fame in 2004. 
Macek (left) in January 1982
|Born:||July 21, 1954|
Manchester, New Hampshire
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||261 lb (118 kg)|
|High school:||Manchester (NH) Central|
|NFL Draft:||1976 / Round: 2 / Pick: 31|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Macek was drafted by the Chargers in the second of the 1976 NFL draft as a guard and later re-positioned as a center in 1979.  He went on to play 14 seasons for San Diego where he missed only 8 starts in 163 career games.  Macek was known for his durability and the integral role he played on the team's offensive line, which provided cover for Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Fouts through most of the 1980s.  That Chargers' offensive line allowed the fewest sacks per per pass attempt in the NFL from 1981-1983.  Upon his retirement in 1990, Macek ranked fifth on the team in games played and tied for third in seasons played.  In 2004, Macek and his teammate Ed White were inducted into the Chargers Hall of Fame. The two played together for the Chargers from 1978 to 1985. Macek was an alternate for several Pro Bowls during his career.
- "Player Bio: Don Macek" Boston College Official Athletic Site". bceagles.cstv.com. Archived from the original on September 23, 2011.
- Distel, Dan (1986-08-09). "Don Macek: Charger Is Good, but Not Center of Attention". Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles. Retrieved 2018-01-12.
- Trotter, Jim (July 28, 2004). "Consistency, success led linemates to Hall". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Archived from the original on January 2, 2007.
- HOLBREICH, CURT (1990-04-04). "Macek, Chargers Will Part : NFL: The center, one of the last links to the Air Coryell era, will not be asked to return". Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles. Retrieved 2018-01-11.
- "Macek, White to join Chargers Hall of Fame". chargers.com. July 27, 2004. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- Ello, Chris (1988-09-02). "Keeping a Handle on Things for the Chargers : Since the 1979 Season, Don Macek Has Been There to Get the Offense Started". Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles. Retrieved 2018-01-12.
Media related to Don Macek at Wikimedia Commons