This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The saddle shoe, also known as "saddle oxford", is a low-heeled casual shoe, characterized by a plain toe and saddle-shaped decorative panel placed mid foot. Saddle shoes are typically constructed of leather and are most frequently white with a black or dark blue saddle, although any color combination is possible.
Saddle shoes are worn by both men and women in a variety of styles ranging from golf cleats to school uniform shoes. They have a reputation as the typical shoes of school-girls, especially in the 1940s.
In popular cultureEdit
- In 1957 Elvis Presley wore saddle shoes in Jailhouse Rock.
- Bert from Sesame Street often wore saddle oxfords and they can be seen in his song and dance called "Doin' the Pigeon".
- The Peanuts comic strip character Lucy van Pelt wears saddle shoes.
- Character Audrey Horne in Twin Peaks is often seen wearing saddle shoes.
- Character Jelly Otter in PB&J Otter wears saddle shoes
- Character Rory Gilmore in Gilmore Girls wears saddle shoes as a part of her school uniform.
- Character Elaine Benes from Seinfeld wore them frequently.
- India Stoker, the protagonist of the 2013 film Stoker, receives a pair of saddle shoes every year on her birthday.
- saddle shoe. (n.d.) Random House Kernerman Webster’s College Dictionary. (2010). Retrieved June 9, 2016 from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/saddle+shoe
- "What are Saddle Shoes? (with pictures)".
- Moore, Jim (18 June 2010). "GQ Endorses: The Return of the Saddle Shoe".
- Macedo, Diane (26 October 2010). "Sesame Street Tweet Sparks Rumors That Bert Is Out of the Closet".
- "Is Lucy Van Pelt Jewish?". 1 February 1999.
- Logan, Elizabeth. "The Return of 'Twin Peaks' Has Us All Nostalgic For Its 90s Fashion".
- Garis, Mary Grace. "So, You Want To Dress Like Audrey Horne?".
- Robinson, Joanna. "Did Twin Peaks Just Reveal the Key to Waking Agent Cooper Up?".
- Builder, Maxine. "How To Dress Like Rory Gilmore For Halloween".
- "Stoker - In Review". reyeggs. 2019-06-02. Retrieved 2020-08-10.
Media related to Saddle shoes at Wikimedia Commons