PB&J Otter is an American animated musical children's television series which premiered on Disney Channel's preschool block (Playhouse Disney) on March 15, 1998. A total of 65 episodes were produced during the course of its three-season run, with the final episode airing on September 24, 2000 (although a Halloween episode was the last aired episode, on October 15, 2000). The series centers on the Otter family who live in the rural fishing community of Lake Hoohaw. Most stories revolve around the Otter kids: older brother Peanut, younger sister Jelly and baby sister Butter (named after the peanut butter and jelly sandwich), as well as their friends and neighbors.
From left to right: Peanut Otter, Baby Butter Otter, and Jelly Otter.
|Genre||Children's television series|
|Created by||Jim Jinkins|
|Voices of||Jenell Slack-Wilson|
Gina Marie Tortorici
Bruce Bayley Johnson
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||9|
|No. of episodes||74 (126 segments) (list of episodes)|
|Executive producers||Jim Jinkins|
|Running time||11–23 minutes|
|Production companies||Walt Disney Television Animation|
Animation production: Plus One Animation
|Distributor||Buena Vista Television|
|Original network||Playhouse Disney|
|Picture format||480i (SD TV) - 720i (HD TV)|
|Original release||March 15, 1998 –|
June 17, 2004
The show was created by Jim Jinkins, who also created Doug and Allegra's Window, and executive-produced by David Campbell in close conjunction with Harvard University's Cognitive Skills Group, "Project Zero". The Group's job was to monitor each and make sure the material had a positive educational message. This show features songs by Dan Sawyer, Fred Newman and Rich Mendoza.
PB&J Otter was nominated for an Annie Award for outstanding music in an animated show in 2000-2004. 
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||13||March 15, 1998||May 17, 1998|
|2||26||May 1, 1999||March 1, 2000|
|3||26||March 26, 2000||June 17, 2004|
|9||1||June 17, 2004||June 17, 2004|
- Peanut Otter (voiced by Adam Rose) – Peanut is the eldest brother of the family and the group's other leader. Peanut is smart and can be a little funny at times, but always loyal. Peanut hates dancing especially the Noodle Dance. But Peanut still does it anyway
- Baby Butter Otter (voiced by Gina Marie Tortorici) – is the baby and the youngest of the family. Butter does not talk much, but will say an odd word every now and then.
- Jelly Otter (voiced by Jenell Slack-Wilson) – is the middle child of the otter children and leader of the group, Jelly often comes up with ideas that are creative but sometimes are not feasible.
- Opal Otter (voiced by Gwen Shepherd) – is PB&J's mother and the wife of Ernest Otter. Opal is caring but can be strict when necessary. Opal has purple afro hair and wears thick glasses and pink slippers.
- Ernest Otter (voiced by Chris Phillips) – is PB&J's father and the husband of Opal Otter. Ernest owns a general store-boat on Lake Hoohaw.
- Pinch Raccoon (voiced by Cody Pennes) – is a raccoon who is very much a lovely girly girl and enjoys being so. Pinch likes tea parties, flowers, dresses, lace and the color pink. Pinch has a healthy imagination and likes stories of castles, princesses and adventure. Pinch is Jelly's best friend.
- Scootch Raccoon (also voiced by Cody Pennes) – is Pinch's little brother. Scootch is rambunctious and bursting with energy and is often seen to run towards people or things yelling "Yahhhh!!!" When Scootch is around, things often tend to get knocked over or broken. Scootch, however, is never intentionally mean, Scootch simply has trouble containing his energy due to his young age. After knocking something or someone over, Scootch will always apologize with the phrase "Sorry, sorry, my fault." Sometimes Scootch feels left out due to his clumsiness, but everybody loves him, including Pinch, his sister. Scootch is Baby Butter's best friend.
- Munchy Beaver (voiced by Chris Phillips) – is a beaver who known in particular for two things—his semi-obsession with wood and his nervous behavior, often lacking self-confidence. Munchy is Peanut's best friend.
- Flick Duck (voiced by Eddie Korbich) – is a duck who hides a soft, caring interior underneath his often tough and "cool" exterior. Flick has been known at times to be boastful and self-absorbed. Flick often leads the gang into trouble with his brilliant plans and ends up paying the price for his actions. Flick also tends to bully Munchy and wants the position of Peanut's best friend. On the other hand, Flick can easily be a good friend to others when Flick wants to and really quite enjoys playing together with others and helping out. His catchphrase is: "Cheese and quackers!". After much practice and perseverance, Flick learned how to fly, and used the new ability at times during the rest of the show's run.
- Ootsie and Bootsie Snootie (both voiced by Eddie Korbich) - are two rich poodles. They’re never seen without each other and may be twins as they were born on the same day. They can be rather stuck-up. Nevertheless, they can also be good friends to everyone in Lake Hoohaw when they want to and really just want to have fun like the other kids. They often complete sentences in tandem with each other. Since their parents are rich, Ootsie and Bootsie always have the latest toys, but often grow bored with them. They are shown to be quite clever and stealthy as well. For example, in the episode "Invitation to the Snooties", they blackmail Edouard into ordering outrageous items for their birthday party.
- Anna ('Aunt Nanner') Otter (voiced by Nancy Giles) – is Opal's sister. Nanner is quite adventurous and travels around the world but still has time for her family. Married to her husband, Redolfo.
- Wanda Raccoon (voiced by Corinne Orr) – is Pinch and Scootch’s mother and Walter's wife. Wanda is the post raccoon for Lake Hoohaw and it is her job to send letters. Despite being the post carrier and caregiver, Wanda still has time for her family. When Wanda is at home, Wanda is seen wearing a teal apron and headband when Wanda works, Wanda is seen driving her mail boat and has a pochettes around her. Married to her husband Walter.
- Walter Raccoon (Voiced by Chris Phillips) is Pinch and Scootch’s father and Wanda’s husband. Walter operates Lake Hoohaw's recycling boat and also helps people with household problems. Walter works the late evening to night shift and sleeps during the day. As such, Walter is often away from way home or sleeping when his kids are awake, but Walter does his best to be a good father to them. When Walter is working, Walter is usually seen wearing a pair of yellow overalls with a recycling symbol, along with a red cap and boots and when Walter is sleeping, Walter is seen wearing a violet nightgown and cap.
- Shirley Duck (voiced by Corinne Orr) – is Flick's mother. Very softhearted, Shirley rarely so much as raises her voice to Flick, much less punishes him. Flick takes advantage of this whenever possible. Flick's father never appeared in the series and it is unknown if Mr. Duck has one.
- Betty-Lou Beaver (voiced by Corinne Orr) – is Munchy's mother. Betty Lou is proud of Munchy and tries to help him become more outspoken. Munchy's father has never been seen, but Mr. Beaver has sent Munchy presents in the mail. It can be assumed Mr. Beaver works away from home.
- Mayor Jeff (voiced by Bruce Bayley Johnson) – is the mayor of Lake Hoohaw. Mayor Jeff is a wise, old otter who loves to help out the kids. Mayor Jeff also is known for his collection of various treasures. Mayor Jeff is also known to babysit the Otter children from time to time.
- Cap'n Crane (voiced by Chris Phillips) – is a 'watchbird' which Cap'n calls himself. Cap'n keeps an eye on Lake Hoohaw and its population, in order to keep everyone safe, though Cap'n tends to overdo it from time to time, often being too safe for his own good, which tends to complicate things, though his heart is in the right place. His catchphrase is 'Watchbird Alert!'. Cap'n is Connie Crane's husband.
- Connie Crane (voiced by Jackie Hoffman) – is Cap'n Crane's wife. Connie is usually seen sleeping and is often woken by Cap'n for unimportant alarms. Connie tends to think Cap'n Crane overdoes his job a bit and generally keeps an eye on him to keep him from making mistakes. Connie is very sarcastic most of the time.
- Edouard Snootie (voiced by Eddie Korbich) – is a poodle, father of Ootsie and Bootsie, husband of Georgina Snootie, and the wealthiest man in Lake Hoohaw. Edouard is usually seen making important phone calls to Georgina or his clients. Edouard spoils Ootsie and Bootsie, but Edouard can be quick to punish them if necessary. Edouard tells others to "have a rich day". Edouard is purple like Ootsie, has brown hair, and wears a yellow bow tie, green glasses, and brown loafers.
- Georgina Snootie (voiced by Corinne Orr) – is a poodle, mother of Ootsie and Bootsie, and wife of Edouard Snootie.
- Bubbles (Voiced by Chris Phillips) - is the Otters’ pet male fish. In the episode “Bubbles’ Beginnings”, it’s revealed that Bubbles originally belonged to the Snooties. But after PB&J took care of him, the Snooties let them keep him.
- Billy Duck – is Flick's older cousin. Billy was once thought to be a bully by the Lake Hoohaw kids due to Flick's remembering something improperly, but he turned out to be kind. Billy may look scary, because Billy has a stern expression, nevertheless Billy still smiles and is kind to the ones around him. Like Flick, Billy likes to read Mallard Man comics.
- Ricky Raccoon – is Pinch's and Scootch's cousin. Ricky is also kind, and Ricky may be a little older than Pinch since Ricky wears a red necktie. When Ricky came to visit, Ricky talked about his life in the city, causing Jelly to call him a show-off. Ricky is also a germaphobe.
- Simon Fieldmouse – is a little field male mouse boy who mistook Flick for the Ice Moose (The Hoohaw version of Santa Claus) Simon's greatest wish was to fly. In his episode, Simon taught Flick to care about others. Flick dressed himself as the Ice Moose and flew Simon to the stage where everybody, including Simon's parents, was there. His only appearance was in the episode, "The Ice Moose".
- Redolfo – (Voiced by Doug Preis) is an otter who Aunt Nanner befriended. They eventually fell in love and got married in the episode “Nanner Says “I Do””
- Captain Camel – did not speak in his only appearance, which was in “Opal and the New Otter”. Captain Camel was the character that sold his boat to Ernest so that Captain Camel could open up a store boat.
- The Muskrat Family – is a family including Mr. and Mrs. Muskrat, Doris Muskrat, Wally Muskrat, and three babies. They may have moved in from the country, because Mr. Muskrat has an accent from Tennessee and they are very poor. They might not even live in Lake Hoohaw, they probably just visit Lake Hoohaw.
- Erickson, Hal (2005). Television Cartoon Shows: An Illustrated Encyclopedia, 1949 Through 2003 (2nd ed.). McFarland & Co. pp. 605–606. ISBN 978-1476665993.
- Crump, William D. (2019 Summer Vacation in 2004). Happy Holidays—Animated! A Worldwide Encyclopedia of Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and New Year's Cartoons on Television and Film. McFarland & Co. p. 145. ISBN 9781476672939. Check date values in:
- Perlmutter, David (2018). The Encyclopedia of American Animated Television Shows. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 447. ISBN 978-1538103739.
- "28th Annie Awards". Annie Awards.