Sabine Parish School Board
|Sabine Parish School Board|
|695 Peterson Street|
PO Box 1079
Sabine Parish, Louisiana, 71449
In January 2014, the ACLU filed suit against the Sabine Parish School Board, Superintendent Sara Ebarb, Principal Gene Wright and teacher Rita Roark of Negreet High School, alleging officials at one of its schools harassed a sixth-grader because of his Buddhist faith and that the district routinely pushes Christian beliefs upon their students.
Andrew Cohen of The Atlantic stated that if the accusations are true, the district would have no legal defense. He added that the school and district administration would be "converting a public school into a Christian school in flagrant violation of the law."
In March 2014, the U.S. District Court approved a consent decree, a court order agreed to by both parties, requiring the Sabine Parish School Board to end to a variety of alleged unconstitutional practices at Negreet High School and other Sabine Parish Schools . The consent decree declared; [t]he District and School Board are permanently enjoined from permitting School Officials at any school within the School District to promote their personal religious beliefs to students in class or during or in conjunction with a School Event." Furthermore, "School Officials shall not denigrate any particular faith, or lack thereof, or single out any student for disfavor or criticism because of his or her particular faith or religious belief, or lack thereof."
- Grades 9-12
- Many High School (Unincorporated area)
- Grades 7-12
- Grades 4-8
- Many Junior High School (Unincorporated area)
- Grades PK-3
- Many Elementary School (Many)
- Grades PK-6
- Zwolle Elementary School (Zwolle)
- Grades PK-12
- Other Campuses
- Sabine Parish Family Literacy Center (Pre-Kindergarten; Many)
- Sabine Program for At Risk Kids "SPARK" (Grades 5-12; Many)
- Lane v. Sabine Parish School Board; ACLU; January 22, 2014.
- Lane v. Sabine Parish School Board Complaint; ACLU; January 22, 2014.
- ACLU Accuses La. School of Religious Harassment; ABC News; January 23, 2014.
- Louisiana School Accused Of Religious Harassment By ACLU; Huffington Post; January 22, 2014.
- Cohen, Andrew. "The Public School Where Prayer Is Everywhere." The Atlantic. January 28, 2014. Retrieved on February 4, 2014.
- Judge rules against creationist teacher who called Buddhist student's faith 'stupid,' by Scott Kaufman, 17 March 2014, The Raw Story
- Louisiana School Agrees to Court Order Ending Discriminatory Religious Practices; ACLU; March 14, 2014. Archived March 18, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- Consent Decree and Order; U.S. District Court; March 14, 2014.
- "Multiple Statistics For Total Reported Public School Students - October 2007" (PDF). Louisiana Department of Education. 2007-10-01. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-11-09. Retrieved 2008-10-15.
- "John S. Pickett, Jr". warrenmeadows.com. February 6, 2014. Retrieved October 30, 2014.
- Sabine Parish School Board (Archives of old web site)
- Proposal for New Many Elementary School (Archive)
- If You Want To Fit In At This Public School Just Become Christian, ACLU
- Consent Decree Order in April 2014, Sabine Parish School Board