The SV Spielberg is a German association football club from the suburb of Spielberg, Karlsbad, Baden-Württemberg. In 2014–15, the club had its most successful season ever, earning promotion to the tier-four Regionalliga Südwest after a league title in the Oberliga Baden-Württemberg.
|Full name||Sport Verein Spielberg e.V.|
|League||Oberliga Baden-Württemberg (V)|
In 1959, the SVS won a championship in the local A-Klasse, but it took until 1970 for the side to reach the tier-four 2nd Amateurliga Mittelbaden-Group 2. Spielberg showed some decent performances at this level in the following season, finishing fifth in its first year.
In 1975, the club made its first, and so far only, participation in the German Cup. In a first-round game at fellow amateur side Eintracht Höhr-Grenzhausen, the club lost 4–3. The team also had a good league season, finishing third in the 2nd Amateurliga. The following season, the club was moved to Group 2 of the league and fell only one point short of promotion, coming second. This performance was however enough to qualify for the new Landesligas which replaced the 2nd Amateurligas at this level.
Spielberg had another good season in Group 3 of this league in 1978–79, finishing third, followed by a second place a year later. After this, the club's performances notably declined and it was relegated in 1983 after finishing last in its league. In the 1980s, the club's youth program produced a future German international, Jens Nowotny.
By 1987, the SVS managed to return to the Landesliga and earned promotion to the Verbandsliga Nordbaden for the first time in 1994.
The club remained a member of this league for the next fifteen seasons, with two third places in 1999 and 2005 as the highlights. It managed to finish in the upper half of the table every season except 2001 and 2002 when it came twelfth in both years.
In the 2008–09 season, a championship in the Verbandsliga earned the club promotion to the highest league in the state of Baden-Württemberg, the Oberliga Baden-Württemberg, for the first time. The club was relegated after just one season, but then managed to be promoted again in the subsequent season, and was playing in the Oberliga again from 2011. After three difficult seasons in which the club struggled against relegation it won the league in 2014–15 and earned promotion to the tier four Regionalliga Südwest for the first time but lasted for only one season before being relegated again.
The club's honours:
Recent managers of the club:
|2008–09||Verbandsliga Nordbaden||VI||1st ↑|
|2009–10||Oberliga Baden-Württemberg||V||15th ↓|
|2010–11||Verbandsliga Nordbaden||VI||1st ↑|
|2014–15||Oberliga Baden-Württemberg||1st ↑|
|2015–16||Regionalliga Südwest||IV||16th ↓|
- With the introduction of the Regionalligas in 1994 and the 3. Liga in 2008 as the new third tier, below the 2. Bundesliga, all leagues below dropped one tier.
|↑ Promoted||↓ Relegated|
- Informationen zum SV Spielberg Archived 6 September 2009 at the Wayback Machine SVS website, accessed: 13 July 2009
- Vereinsgeschichte des SV Spielberg – "Kurz gefasst" Archived 20 September 2008 at the Wayback Machine SVS website – Club history, accessed: 13 July 2009
- 50 Jahre Fussball in Nordbaden 1945–1995 ‹See Tfd›(in German) author: Dieter Zimmermann & Ludolf Hyll, page: 39
- 50 Jahre Fussball in Nordbaden 1945–1995 ‹See Tfd›(in German) page: 46
- 50 Jahre Fussball in Nordbaden 1945–1995 ‹See Tfd›(in German) page: 48
- 50 Jahre Fussball in Nordbaden 1945–1995 ‹See Tfd›(in German) page: 50
- 50 Jahre Fussball in Nordbaden 1945–1995 ‹See Tfd›(in German) page: 51
- 50 Jahre Fussball in Nordbaden 1945–1995 ‹See Tfd›(in German) page: 54
- SV Spielberg .:. Trainer von A-Z ‹See Tfd›(in German) weltfussball.de, accessed: 17 September 2011
- Das deutsche Fußball-Archiv ‹See Tfd›(in German) Historical German domestic league tables
- Fussball.de – Ergebnisse ‹See Tfd›(in German) Tables and results of all German football leagues