PFA Scotland Players' Player of the Year
The Professional Footballers' Association Scotland Players' Player of the Year (often called the PFA Scotland Players' Player of the Year, the Players' Player of the Year, or simply the Scottish Player of the Year) is an annual award given to the player who is adjudged to have been the best of the season in Scottish football. The award has been presented since the 1977–78 season and the winner is chosen by a vote amongst the members of the players' trade union, the Professional Footballers' Association Scotland (PFA Scotland). The award was formerly known as the Scottish Professional Footballers' Association Players' Player of the Year, but was renamed after the SPFA merged with the (English) Professional Footballers' Association to become PFA Scotland.
|PFA Scotland Players' Player of the Year|
Henrik Larsson won the award twice
|Awarded for||The outstanding player in each given Scottish football season|
|Presented by||PFA Scotland|
|Player of the Year||James Forrest|
|Most awards||Two players (2)|
The first winner of the award was Rangers striker Derek Johnstone, and the first non-Scottish winner was Aberdeen goalkeeper Theo Snelders eleven years later. As of 2019, only Henrik Larsson and Scott Brown have won the award on more than one occasion. Although there is a separate PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year award, young players remain eligible to win the senior award, and in the 2005–06 season Shaun Maloney became the first player to win both awards in the same season, a feat repeated by Aiden McGeady two years later.
A shortlist of nominees is published in April and the winner of the award, along with the winners of PFA Scotland's other annual awards, is announced at a gala event in Glasgow a few days later. The award is regarded by the players themselves as extremely prestigious, with John Hartson commenting in 2005 that "the award means a lot because it's voted by your fellow professionals" and Shaun Maloney stating in 2006 that "there is no better accolade than to be voted for by your peers and it does mean a lot to me". In 2007 the SPFA was replaced by a new body, PFA Scotland, but the new organisation's awards are considered to be a direct continuation of the SPFA awards.
The award has been presented on 42 occasions as of 2019, with two players sharing the award on one occasion (2004–05). There have been 41 different winners, with Henrik Larsson and Scott Brown being the only players to have won the award more than once. The table also indicates where the winning player also won one or more of the other major "player of the year" awards in Scottish football, namely the Scottish Football Writers' Association's Footballer of the Year award (SFWA), and the PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year award (SYPY).
Breakdown of winnersEdit
Winners by countryEdit
|Country||Number of wins||Winning seasons|
|Scotland||1977–78, 1978–79, 1979–80, 1980–81, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1984–85, 1985–86, 1986–87, 1987–88, 1989–90, 1991–92, 1992–93, 1997–98, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2008–09, 2011–12, 2013–14, 2015–16, 2017–18, 2018–19|
|England||1990–91, 1993–94, 1995–96, 2003–04, 2012–13, 2016–17|
|Netherlands||1988–89, 2004–05 (shared)|
|Republic of Ireland||2007–08|
Winners by clubEdit
|Club||Number of wins||Winning seasons|
|Celtic||1979–80, 1982–83, 1986–87, 1987–88, 1990–91, 1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2003–04, 2004–05 (shared), 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2011–12, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18, 2018–19|
|Rangers||1977–78, 1991–92, 1992–93, 1993–94, 1994–95, 1995–96, 2001–02, 2002–03, 2004–05 (shared), 2009–10|
|Aberdeen||1980–81, 1983–84, 1988–89, 1989–90|
|Dundee United||1978–79, 1985–86|
- First player to win SPFA and SFWA awards in the same season.
- First winner of the award from outside the United Kingdom.
- First winner of the award from outside Europe.
- First two-time winner of the award.
- First player to win both SPFA awards in the same season.
- Fisher, Stewart (2 May 2004). "Jackie named player of the year". Sunday Herald. Herald & Times Group. Archived from the original on 11 May 2008. Retrieved 31 March 2008.
- "Amoruso is players' choice". BBC Sport. 29 April 2002. Retrieved 28 March 2008.
- "SPFA Player of the Year nominations". The Scottish Premier League. Archived from the original on 19 September 2007. Retrieved 28 March 2008.
- "Hartson and Ricksen share award". BBC Sport. 25 April 2005. Retrieved 28 March 2008.
- "Maloney in historic awards double". BBC Sport. 1 May 2006. Retrieved 28 March 2008.
- Greig, Martin (5 July 2007). "Fraser Wishart is promising a new kind of players union". The Herald. Herald & Times Group. Archived from the original on 2 March 2009. Retrieved 24 April 2008.
- "McGeady picks up double prize at football awards". The Herald. Herald & Times Group. Retrieved 24 April 2008.
Celtic winger Aiden McGeady has pulled off an awards double by winning the PFA Scotland Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year awards....McGeady follows in the footsteps of former Parkhead team-mate Shaun Maloney, who won both awards in a single season in 2006.
- "McGeady happy with Hoops". teamtalk.com. Archived from the original on 4 January 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2008.
The only other player to have claimed the PFA Scotland double was Shaun Maloney, the Celtic midfielder who went on to carve out a career in the Premier League with Aston Villa.
- Barnes, Stuart (2007). News of the World Football Annual 2007/2008. Invincible Press. p. 63. ISBN 0-00-725555-1.
- Barnes, Stuart. News of the World Football Annual 2007/2008. p. 62.
- Paul, Ian (20 May 1985). "Morton's Jim Duffy is player's player". Glasgow Herald. p. 17. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- Traynor, James (16 May 1988). "A triumph for common sense". Glasgow Herald. p. 9. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- Bailey, Graeme (20 April 2008). "McGeady claims PFA double". Sky Sports. BSkyB. Retrieved 21 April 2008.
- Graham Spiers (4 May 2009). "Celtic's Scott Brown claims player of the year prize". The Times. Archived from the original on 8 May 2009. Retrieved 5 May 2009.
- "Davis crowned player of the year". BBC Sport. 2 May 2010. Retrieved 3 May 2010.
- "Izaguirre lands top gong". Sky Sports. BSkyB. 1 May 2010. Retrieved 1 May 2011.
- "Celtic defender Charlie Mulgrew named player of the year". BBC Sport. 6 May 2012. Retrieved 6 May 2012.
- "Motherwell: Michael Higdon named player of the year". BBC Sport. 6 May 2013. Retrieved 6 May 2013.
- "Celtic's Kris Commons named Premiership player of year". BBC Sport. 27 April 2014. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "Celtic's Stefan Johansen named Scottish PFA player of the year". BBC Sport. 3 May 2015. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "Leigh Griffiths: Celtic forward named PFA Scotland Player of the Year". BBC Sport. 1 May 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "Scott Sinclair named SPFA player of the year as Celtic win four awards". BBC Sport. 7 May 2017. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- "Kris Boyd, John McGinn & Celtic's Scott Brown & James Forrest up for PFA award". BBC Sport. 25 April 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "Scott Brown: Celtic captain voted PFA Scotland player of the year 2017/18". BBC Sport. 29 April 2018. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "James Forrest, Steve Clarke & Ryan Kent win PFA Scotland annual awards". BBC Sport. 5 May 2019. Retrieved 6 May 2019.