Screw (magazine)(Redirected from SCREW (magazine))
Screw was a weekly pornographic tabloid newspaper published in the United States aimed at heterosexual men; according to a statement on the cover, it offered "Jerk-Off Entertainment for Men". It was first published in November 1968 by Al Goldstein and Jim Buckley (who edited the short-lived "sister" tabloid Gay), and was printed weekly in tabloid form. At its peak, Screw sold 140,000 copies a week. Founder Al Goldstein won a series of nationally significant court cases addressing obscenity.
The cover of issue 1,061 which replaced the stars and stripes with female and male genitals. Designed by Mikhail Armalinsky
Stripper and erotic performance artist Honeysuckle Divine wrote a column, "Diary of a Dirty Broad", for Screw in 1974. According to Goldstein, her act "was unbelievably disgusting, so naturally, we made her our symbol."
In 1974, Goldstein and Buckley were charged with 12 counts of obscenity in a federal court in Kansas. The case dragged on for three years through two trials and was finally settled when Goldstein agreed to pay a $30,000 fine.
In 1977, Alabama Governor George Wallace sued Screw for $5 million for publishing the claim that he had learned to perform sexual acts from reading the magazine. The two parties settled for $12,500, and Screw agreed to print an apology.
- Many pages from Screw, including advertisements and classifieds, may be found at https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/screw-magazine and https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/al-goldstein, Retrieved October 19, 2014
- http://screwmag.tumblr.com/post/83323946584/happy-easter, retrieved 7/14/2015.
- "Defunct or Suspended Magazines, 2003". The Association of Magazine Media. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- Newman, Andy. "Al Goldstein, Who Made Porn Dirtier, Dies at 77". The New York Times. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- An advertisement for Gay may be seen at http://41.media.tumblr.com/0d31009fcacb06cc0b36ee55aa0de504/tumblr_n5diszxVcx1sbtct0o1_1280.jpg, retrieved 11/21/2014.
- Ashley West, "Remembering Al Goldstein: A Happy Jew," The Rialto Report, January 5, 2014, http://www.therialtoreport.com/2014/01/05/remembering-al-goldstein-a-happy-jew/, retrieved 10-30-2014.
- Frumkes, Roy (2008-12-21). "FIR '08 Stocking Stuffer". Films in Review. Retrieved 2010-06-03.
- Marc Davis, "The Screw-y, Filthy World of Al Goldstein", Jewniverse, November 18, 2013, http://thejewniverse.com/2013/the-screw-y-filthy-world-of-al-goldstein/, retrieved 11/20/2014.
- The article title is on the cover of issue No. 11, May 2, 1969, reproduced at http://www.specificobject.com/objects/info.cfm?object_id=12758#.VL16PkfF9S0, retrieved 1/15/2015.
- Mike Edison, Dirty! Dirty! Dirty!: Of —Playboys, Pigs, and Penthouse Paupers—An American Tale of Sex and Wonder, Soft Skull Press, 2011 ISBN 1593762844, https://books.google.com/books?id=aUv0lOqrPB4C&pg=PT106&lpg=PT106&dq=%22Is+J.+Edgar+Hoover+a+Fag?, retrieved 11/21/2014.
- http://screwmag.tumblr.com/post/56900809307/monsterman-screw-magazine-206-1973, retrieved 11/20/2014.
- One article, from March 11, 1974, may be seen at http://screwmag.tumblr.com/post/91177761048/diary-of-a-dirty-broad-by-honeysuckle-divine, retrieved 07/14/2015.
- Will Sloan, "Al Goldstein: The Anti-Hef", http://penguinrandomhouse.ca/hazlitt/longreads/al-goldstein-anti-hef , consulted 11/20/2014.
- "Goldstein Pays $30,000, Ending Obscenity Trial", New York Times, March 16, 1978.
- UPI (1977-04-13). "Wallace Settles with Screw". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- Sloan, Will (December 20, 2013). "Al Goldstein: The Anti-Hef". Hazlitt. Random House of Canada. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "The New Screw Review". New York Press. 2005-03-02. Archived from the original on 16 April 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2011.