Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockford
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockford (Latin: Dioecesis Rockfordiensis) is an ecclesiastical territory or diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in the northern Illinois region of the United States. The prelate is a bishop serving as the pastor of the Mother Church, the Cathedral of Saint Peter in the City of Rockford. Pope Benedict XVI appointed David John Malloy, as the ninth and current bishop on March 20, 2012. He was installed on May 14, 2012. A diocese of the Metropolitan Province of Chicago, the metropolitan bishop of Rockford is the Archbishop of Chicago.
Diocese of Rockford
|Territory||11 counties in northwestern Illinois|
|Area||6,457 sq mi (16,720 km2)|
|(as of 2010)|
|Established||September 23, 1908|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of Saint Peter|
|Patron saint||Immaculate Conception|
|Bishop||David John Malloy|
Saint Pius X erected the Diocese of Rockford on September 27, 1907, and established it on September 23, 1908. Its territory of 12 counties was taken from the Archdiocese of Chicago. In 1948, Pope Pius XII established the Diocese of Joliet and transferred Kendall County from Rockford to Joliet.
- Peter Muldoon (1908-1927)
- Edward Francis Hoban (1928-1942), appointed Coadjutor Bishop and later Bishop of Cleveland
- John Joseph Boylan (1942-1953)
- Raymond Peter Hillinger (1953-1956), appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago
- Loras Thomas Lane (1956-1968)
- Arthur Joseph O'Neill (1968-1994)
- Thomas George Doran (1994-2012)
- David John Malloy (2012-present)
Other priests of this diocese who became bishopsEdit
- Aquin Catholic Schools (Junior-Senior High Campus), Freeport
- Aurora Central Catholic High School, Aurora
- Boylan Catholic High School, Rockford
- Marian Central Catholic High School, Woodstock
- Marmion Academy, Aurora
- Newman Central Catholic High School, Sterling
- Rosary High School, Aurora
- St. Edward Central Catholic High School, Elgin
- "RINUNCIA DEL VESCOVO DI ROCKFORD (U.S.A.) E NOMINA DEL SUCCESSORE" [Resignation of the Bishop of Rockford (U.S.A.) and Appointment of Successor]. Daily Bulletin: Waivers and Appointments (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 20 March 2012. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- "The Most Reverend David J. Malloy". Diocese of Rockford. Retrieved 5 August 2012.