Archdiocese of Los Altos Quetzaltenango-Totonicapán
Archidioecesis Altensis, Quetzltenanguensis-Totonicapensis
|Territory||Quetzaltenango and Totonicapan|
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of Los Altos Quetzaltenango-Totonicapán|
|Area||3,012 km2 (1,163 sq mi)|
- Catholics (including non-members)
|(as of 2010)|
|Established||27 July 1921 (100 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Catedral del Espíritu Santo|
|Co-cathedral||Catedral de San Miguel|
|Archbishop||Mario Alberto Molina Palma, O.A.R.|
The archiepiscopal seat is Quetzaltenango Cathedral (Catedral del Espíritu Santo), originally built in Quetzaltenango in 1535. It also has a co-cathedral, San Miguel Arcángel, in the city of Totonicapán.
It was vacant until named Mario Alberto Molina Palma on July 14, 2011; having been headed until Monday, October 4, 2010, by Archbishop Oscar Julio Vian Morales, who was then named by Pope Benedict XVI to succeed Cardinal Quezada as Metropolitan Archbishop of Guatemala.
It was erected on 27 July 1921 as the Diocese of Quetzaltenango, Los Altos, on territory split off from the Metropolitan Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Guatemala.
It was elevated and renamed to Archdiocese of Los Altos Quetzaltenango-Totonicapán on 13 February 1996. It lost more territory on 31 December 1996 to establish the Diocese of Suchitepéquez-Retalhuleu, another suffragan.
(all Roman Rite)
- Suffragan Bishops of Quetzaltenango, Los Altos
- Jorge García Caballeros (1928.06.30 – 1955.04.05), also Apostolic Administrator of Sololá (Guatemala) (1951.03.10 – 1955.04.05) and Apostolic Administrator of San Marcos (Guatemala) (1951.03.10 – 1955.04.05)
- Luis Manresa Formosa, Jesuits (S.J.) (1955.11.30 – 1979.05.30), also President of Episcopal Secretariat of Central America and Panama (1971–1972) and Second Vice-President of Latin American Episcopal Council (1972–1979)
- Oscar Garcia Urizar (1980.03.04 – 1987.01.08)
- Victor Hugo Martínez Contreras (1987.04.04 – 1996.02.13 see below), previously Titular Bishop of Naissus (1970.11.30 – 1975.09.20), Auxiliary Bishop of Huehuetenango (Guatemala) (1970.11.30 – 1975.09.20), promoted Bishop of Huehuetenango (1975.09.20 – 1987.04.04), President of Episcopal Conference of Guatemala (1986–1988)
- Metropolitan Archbishops of Los Altos, Quetzaltenango–Totonicapán
- Victor Hugo Martínez Contreras (see above 1996.02.13 – 2007.04.19), also President of Episcopal Conference of Guatemala (1998–2002)
- Oscar Julio Vian Morales, Salesians (S.D.B.) (2007.04.19 – 2010.10.02), previously Titular Bishop of Pupiana (1996.11.30 – 2007.04.19) & Apostolic Vicar of El Petén (Guatemala) (1996.11.30 – 2007.04.19); later Metropolitan Archbishop of Guatemala (Guatemala) (2010.10.02 – 2013.04.25), restyled Metropolitan Archbishop of Santiago de Guatemala (2013.04.25 – 2018.02.24)
- Mario Alberto Molina Palma, O.A.R. (2011.07.14 – ...), previously), also Vice-President of Episcopal Conference of Guatemala (2012.03 – ...); previously Bishop of Quiché (Guatemala) (2004.10.29 – 2011.07.14)
- "Cathedrals Guatemala". gcatholic.org. Retrieved 2009-07-09.
- "Archdiocese of Los Altos Quetzaltenango-Totonicapán". Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2007-02-22.
- "Arquidiócesis de los Altos". www.iglesiacatolica.org.gt. Retrieved 2009-07-09.