Rocawear is an American clothing retailer based in New York. It was created in 1999 by Roc-A-Fella Records co-founders Damon Dash and Shawn Carter (mostly known for his artistic name, Jay-Z), and has had annual sales of $700 million. Rocawear expanded through licensing to sell affordable clothes for children and juniors; socks and sandals; leather, suede, and fur outerwear; handbags and belts; lounge wear; big and tall; headwear; jewelry; and sunglasses; as well as co-branded product with Pro-Keds, State Property, and Team Roc.
|Shawn "JAY-Z" Carter (CEO), Damon "Dame" Dash|
|Products||Clothing, footwear, fragrance and fashion accessories|
|Revenue||$700 million (FY 2007)|
|Owner||Iconix Brand Group|
R&B singer Ciara signed to be the new face of Rocawear in 2007 for the 'I Will Not Lose' campaign. Chris Brown, Memphis rap collective Three 6 Mafia, radio personality Ebro Darden, Toccara and Rich Boy were amongst the other celebrities who were part of the campaign.
In March 2007, Jay-Z sold the rights to the Rocawear brand to Iconix Brand Group for $204 million. Jay-Z will retain his stake in the company and will continue to oversee the marketing, licensing, and product development. In May 2018, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) sought out Jay-Z's testimony in relation to possible security law violations made by Iconix.
In March 2009, Rocawear launched its first social networking site, offering style news, music, fashion, and cultural connections.
In 2012, Rocawear was a €490 million clothing business.
In November 2018, Jay-Z successfully halted a $204 million lawsuit between Roc Nation and Iconix over the lack of black arbitrators in the US.
- "Iconix to Buy Rocawear, Jay-Z's Clothing Line". New York Times. Reuters. 7 March 2007. Archived from the original on 15 January 2016. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- "Jay-Z: Down To 98 Problems Yet?Y". MTV. 2007-02-07. Archived from the original on March 9, 2007.
- "Keratoconus". Thursday, April 9, 2020
- "Jay-Z to testify over sale of Rocawear brand". Sky News. 2018-05-03. Archived from the original on 2018-05-04. Retrieved 2020-05-06.
- Adaso, Henry (18 April 2009). "Rocawear Dives into Social Networking Pool with Roc4Life". About.com Guide. Archived from the original on 15 May 2013. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Gregory, Jason (4 August 2011). "Jay-Z Partners With Pharrell Williams Fashion Label Billionaire Boys Club". Gigwisw.com. Archived from the original on 3 July 2013. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Chevalier, Michel (2012). Luxury Brand Management. Singapore: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-1-118-17176-9.
- Smith, Amy (2018-11-29). "Jay-Z calls a halt to $204 million Rocawear lawsuit over lack of racial diversity". NME. Archived from the original on 2018-11-29. Retrieved 2020-05-06.