Robert York (23 August 1909 — 21 May 1975) was an American cartoonist from 1930 to 1974. York began working for the Chicago Tribune and Nashville Banner throughout the 1930s before joining the Louisville Times in 1937. As a political cartoonist, York spent the majority of his career with Louisville apart from a stint with the United States Army Air Forces during World War II. York won the 1956 Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Cartooning for his newspaper cartoon "Achilles" and retired from cartoons in August 1974.
Early life and educationEdit
On 23 August 1909, York was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota and grew up in Des Moines, Iowa. For his post-secondary education, York went to Drake University and the Cummings School of Art during the late 1920s. He continued his art education in 1930 when he enrolled in the Chicago Academy of Fine Arts. While completing his studies, York was trained by various people including Ding Darling and Vaughn Shoemaker.
York began working in cartoons with the Chicago Tribune as an assistant cartoonist for Carl Ed from 1930-35. He then became a cartoonist for the Nashville Banner in 1936 and The Louisville Times in 1937. While with the Louisville Times, York worked as a political cartoonist from 1937 to 1974 with the exception of World War II. During the war, York drew with the United States Army Air Forces from 1943 to 1945. He retired from cartoons in August 1974.
Awards and honorsEdit
York was married and had one child.
- Fischer, Heinz-Dietrich (2012). Political Caricatures on Global Issues: Pulitzer Prize Winning Editorial Cartoons. LIT Verlag. p. 72. ISBN 9783643902221. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Robert York, Pulitzer Prize winner as Times cartoonist, is dead at 65". The Courier-Journal. 22 May 1975. p. D12.
- Horn, Maurice; Marschall, Richard (1980). "York, Robert (1909-1975)". The World Encyclopedia of Cartoons. 2. Chelsea House Publishers. p. 594.
- Brennan, Elizabeth A.; Clarage, Elizabeth C. (1999). Who's who of Pulitzer Prize Winners. Oryx Press. p. 146. ISBN 1573561118.
- "Robert York Cartoonist". Courier-Journal. 26 January 1941. p. 13.
- "York Retires". Springfield Leader and Press. 26 August 1974. p. 5.
- "Robert York of Louisville (KY) Times". Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- Long, Scott (17 July 1958). "'This is one of my Best of 1958...'". Star Tribune (Minneapolis, Minnesota). p. 4.
- "Cartoonist Who Won Pulitzer Prize Dies". Tampa Tribune. 23 May 1975. p. 15D.