Robert Leighton (film editor)
Robert Leighton is a British film and television editor with more than 30 feature film credits since 1980. He has edited nearly all of the films by film director Rob Reiner, commencing with This Is Spinal Tap in 1984. He has also edited three films with Christopher Guest. His work includes hit comedies and mockumentaries such as This Is Spinal Tap, Best in Show and When Harry Met Sally... as well as classic dramas such as Stand by Me and the Stephen King thriller, Misery, which garnered actress Kathy Bates a "Best Actress" Oscar. He was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Film Editing for the feature film, A Few Good Men (1992).
Leighton's filmography is based on the listing at the Internet Movie Database. The director for each film is indicated in parenthesis.
- Chef (Favreau-2014)
- Now You See Me (Leterrier-2013)
- Flipped (Reiner-2010)
- Gone with the Pope (Mitchell-2010). Filming was completed in 1976, and Leighton and Robert Florio did some editing. The film was left unfinished at Mitchell's death in 1981. Bob Murawski acquired the film in the 1990s. Over the next fifteen years, he edited it with Jody Fedele and Paul Hart; the film was finally released in 2010.
- The Bucket List (Reiner-2007)
- For Your Consideration (Guest-2006)
- A Mighty Wind (Guest-2003)
- Alex & Emma (Reiner-2003)
- Best in Show (Guest-2000). Christopher Guest had starred in This is Spinal Tap, which Leighton edited. The films that Guest has directed are also "mockumentaries", and involve extensive improvisation during filming and extending editing to develop the story.
- The Story of Us (Reiner-1999)
- Hush (Darby-1998)
- Ghosts of Mississippi (Reiner-1996)
- Courage Under Fire (Zwick-1996) (Additional Editor, with Steven Rosenblum)
- The American President (Reiner-1995)
- North (Reiner-1994)
- A Few Good Men (Reiner-1992)
- Late for Dinner (Richter-1991)
- Misery (Reiner-1990). Leighton's editing of the film has been used as a textbook example of "time expansion".
- When Harry Met Sally (Reiner-1989)
- Bull Durham (Shelton-1988)
- The Princess Bride (Reiner-1987)
- Stand by Me (Reiner-1986)
- The Sure Thing (Reiner-1985)
- This is Spinal Tap (Reiner-1984) (Supervising Editor; Kent Beyda and Kim Secrist are credited as the editors.)
- Wavelength (Gray-1983)
- Kill and Kill Again (Hall-1981)
- Delusion (Beattie-1980) (Also known as The House Where Death Lives)
- Stunt Rock (Trenchard-Smith-1980) (credited as Robert H. Money)
Awards and nominationsEdit
This list is based on the Internet Movie Database.
- Robert Leighton on IMDb
- Longworth, Karina (1 June 2010). "History According to Gone With the Pope". The Village Voice.
- Muir, John Kenneth (2004). Best in Show: The Films of Christopher Guest and Company. Hal Leonard Corporation. p. 77. ISBN 9781557836090.
- Hurbis-Cherrier, Mick (2007). Voice & Vision: A Creative Approach to Narrative Film and DV Production. Taylor & Francis. p. 404. ISBN 9780240807737.