Robbie Ross Jr.(Redirected from Robbie Ross (baseball))
Robert Charles Ross Jr. (born June 24, 1989) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is currently a free agent. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Texas Rangers and Boston Red Sox.
|Robbie Ross Jr.|
Ross pitching for the Boston Red Sox in 2016
Born: June 24, 1989|
|April 8, 2012, for the Texas Rangers|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2017 season)
|Earned run average||3.92|
Born and raised in Lexington, Kentucky, Ross attended Lexington Christian Academy, where he competed in both baseball and soccer. Ross had a 1.98 career ERA with 176 strikeouts in 116 innings, and also hit .404 with 52 RBIs and 33 stolen bases. During his senior year, Ross was selected as the Gatorade Baseball Player of the Year in Kentucky.
Ross made the Rangers opening day roster out of spring training in 2012. He made his major league debut on April 8, 2012 against the Chicago White Sox. Robbie's first strikeout victim was Paul Konerko. His first major league victory came April 14, 2012 against the Minnesota Twins in relief of Yu Darvish. The very next day, he picked up his second victory, also against the Twins, in relief of Neftalí Feliz.
Boston Red SoxEdit
In his first season with the Red Sox, Ross appeared in 54 games, collecting an 0-2 record, with a 3.86 ERA, striking out 53 batters.
In 2016, Ross was an integral part of the Boston bullpen, appearing in 54 games, racking up 55.1 innings, to the tune of a 3-2 record and 56 strikeouts. Ross' 2017 season was cut short due to a back injury, he appeared in only 8 games. He was outrighted off the roster after the season and he elected to become a free agent.
Chicago White SoxEdit
- Rangers spring break: Pitcher Robbie Ross sounds off on Kentucky-Louisville rivalry
- "Ross claims spot as lefty in Rangers' bullpen". MLB.com. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- "Boston Red Sox send Anthony Ranaudo to Texas Rangers for Robbie Ross - ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- "White Sox sign Robbie Ross Jr to minor league deal | FanRag Sports". www.fanragsports.com. Retrieved 2018-03-06.
- Byrne, Connor (June 9, 2018). "White Sox Release Robbie Ross". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved June 11, 2018.