Robbie Ross Jr.
|Robbie Ross Jr.|
Ross pitching for the Boston Red Sox in 2016
|Born: June 24, 1989|
|April 8, 2012, for the Texas Rangers|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2017 season)
|Earned run average||3.92|
Ross was born and raised in Lexington, Kentucky. He attended Lexington Christian Academy, where he competed in both baseball and soccer. Ross had a 1.98 career earned run average (ERA) with 176 strikeouts in 116 innings pitched, and also batted .404 with 52 runs batted in and 33 stolen bases. During his senior year, Ross was selected as the Gatorade Baseball Player of the Year in Kentucky.
Ross made the Rangers opening day roster out of spring training in 2012. He made his major league debut on April 8, 2012 against the Chicago White Sox. Robbie's first strikeout victim was Paul Konerko. His first major league victory came April 14, 2012 against the Minnesota Twins in relief of Yu Darvish. The very next day, he picked up his second victory, also against the Twins, in relief of Neftalí Feliz.
Boston Red SoxEdit
In his first season with the Red Sox, Ross appeared in 54 games, collecting an 0-2 record, with a 3.86 ERA, striking out 53 batters. In 2015, Ross had a solid season posting a 3.86 ERA in 54 appearances, and even serving as the Red Sox closer for a brief time. He would amass the only 6 saves of his MLB career in 2015.
In 2016, Ross was an integral part of the Boston bullpen, appearing in 54 games, racking up 55.1 innings, to the tune of a 3-2 record and 56 strikeouts. Ross' 2017 season was cut short due to a back injury, he appeared in only 8 games. He was outrighted off the roster after the season and he elected to become a free agent.
Chicago White SoxEdit
On March 4, 2019, Ross signed a minor league deal with the Pittsburgh Pirates. He was released on March 25, 2019.
Sugar Land SkeetersEdit
- Rangers spring break: Pitcher Robbie Ross sounds off on Kentucky-Louisville rivalry
- "Ross claims spot as lefty in Rangers' bullpen". MLB.com. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- "Boston Red Sox send Anthony Ranaudo to Texas Rangers for Robbie Ross - ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- "White Sox sign Robbie Ross Jr to minor league deal | FanRag Sports". www.fanragsports.com. Retrieved March 6, 2018.
- Byrne, Connor (June 9, 2018). "White Sox Release Robbie Ross". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved June 11, 2018.