Robert James Sheffield (born February 2, 1966) is an American music journalist and author.
|Born||Robert James Sheffield|
February 2, 1966
Milton, Massachusetts, U.S.
(m. 1991; died 1997)
He is a long time contributing editor at Rolling Stone, writing about music, TV, and pop culture. Previously, he was a contributing editor at Blender, Spin and Details magazines. A native of Milton, Massachusetts, Sheffield has a bachelor's degree from Yale University and master's degree (1991) from the University of Virginia.
Sheffield has written several books including a memoir, Love Is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time (an excerpt of which was featured in the January 2007 issue of GQ), was released by Random House in January 2007. It was met with much acclaim and was a national bestseller.
Sheffield's fifth book, released in April 2017, is called Dreaming the Beatles: The Love Story of One Band and the Whole World. An excerpt from Sheffield's most recent book, Dreaming the Beatles, was published online by Rolling Stone. USA Today gave Dreaming the Beatles three and one-half (out of four) stars and called it a "charming new collection of essays." Spin added that "Dreaming the Beatles is equal parts history and cultural criticism, as Sheffield draws from dozens of sources to lay down the story of how the Beatles came to be, before writing about why any of it matters." MTV opined that "Dreaming the Beatles is one of the best books about the band ever written." Sheffield won the ASCAP Foundation's Virgil Thomson Award for Outstanding Music Criticism for Dreaming the Beatles in 2017.
- 2007 – Love Is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time. ISBN 9781400083039
- 2009 – Bande Originale (French Edition). ISBN 2355840202
- 2010 – Talking to Girls About Duran Duran: One Young Man's Quest for True Love and a Cooler Haircut. ISBN 0452297230
- 2013 – Turn Around Bright Eyes: The Rituals of Love and Karaoke. ISBN 0062207628
- 2016 – On Bowie. ISBN 0062562703
- 2017 – Dreaming the Beatles: The Love Story of One Band and the Whole World. ISBN 0062207652
- 2019 – The Wild Heart of Stevie Nicks (Audible book). ISIN: B07PRK66HL
- "Barnes, Lindsay. "Love Is a Mix Tape: Rolling Stone writer on love and loss in Charlottesville." The Hook. January 25, 2007. Retrieved February 1, 2007". Archived from the original on August 23, 2009. Retrieved February 1, 2007.
- Lowery, Samantha (April 14, 2009). "She Lives in Song". University of Virginia Magazine. University of Virginia Alumni Association. Archived from the original on April 25, 2019. Retrieved August 10, 2018.
- Dempsey, Luke. "Duran Duran and the bogus era". Politico PRO. Archived from the original on December 2, 2021. Retrieved December 2, 2021.
- "The day the music died". Los Angeles Times. December 31, 2006. Archived from the original on December 2, 2021. Retrieved December 2, 2021.
- "Audio Book Review: Love Is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield, Author, Rob Sheffield, Read by , read by the author. Random House Audio $29.95 (0p) ISBN 978-0-7393-3352-5". Publishers Weekly. Archived from the original on December 2, 2021. Retrieved December 2, 2021.
- "Rob Sheffield on the Beatles' Solo Wilderness Years". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on May 5, 2018. Retrieved June 29, 2017.
- "'Dreaming the Beatles': We love them yeah, yeah, yeah!". USA Today. Archived from the original on June 10, 2017. Retrieved June 29, 2017.
- "Rob Sheffield's Dreaming the Beatles Is a Fresh Look at the Most Popular Band Ever". Spin. May 10, 2017. Archived from the original on July 5, 2017. Retrieved June 29, 2017.
- "Dreaming the Beatles Author Rob Sheffield On The Fab Four's Unstoppable Pop". MTV News. Archived from the original on July 1, 2017. Retrieved June 29, 2017.
- TV News Desk (October 12, 2017). "Journalists on Beatles & More Receive Deems Taylor/ Virgil Thomson Awards". Broadway World. Archived from the original on November 27, 2020. Retrieved April 9, 2022.