This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010)
Richard Gilliland (January 23, 1950 – March 18, 2021) was an American television and movie actor.
|Born||January 23, 1950|
Fort Worth, Texas, U.S.
|Died||March 18, 2021 (aged 71)|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Jean Smart (1987–2021)|
Early and personal lifeEdit
Gilliland was born in Fort Worth, Texas. He attended High School in Overland Park, KS (Shawnee Mission South) graduating in 1968. He was active in plays and musicals.
He married actress Jean Smart in 1987. They met while working on the set of Designing Women (he played J. D. Shackelford, the boyfriend of Annie Potts' character, Mary Jo Shively). They have a son, Connor Douglas (born 1989) and a daughter, Bonnie Kathleen (adopted May 2009).
He first appeared onscreen in the 1970s. Notable appearances include The Waltons, Thirtysomething, Party of Five, Little Women, and a recurring role on Designing Women (where he met his wife Jean Smart, who starred as Charlene in that series). He played Ellis Kapp on The Unit and Captain Stan Cotter on 24. He also had a recurring role as serial killer Jeffrey Speidel in the NBC series Matlock.
Select TV and filmographyEdit
- The Streets of San Francisco (1974) (TV series)
- Bug (1975)
- Stay Hungry (1976)
- McMillan & Wife (1976–77) (TV series)
- The White Buffalo (1977)
- Operation Petticoat (1977–78) (TV series)
- Little Women (1978) (TV miniseries)
- The Waltons (1981) (TV series)
- Airplane II: The Sequel (1982)
- The Night the Bridge Fell Down (1983) (TV movie)
- Just Our Luck (1983) (TV series)
- Challenge of a Lifetime (1985) (TV movie)
- The Love Boat (1985) (TV series)
- Mary (1986) (TV series)
- Designing Women (1986–91) (TV series)
- Hunter (1987) (TV series)
- Heartland (1989) (TV series)
- Thirtysomething (1989–90) (TV series)
- Murder, She Wrote (1991, 93) (TV series)
- Matlock (1991, 93, 95) (TV series)
- Winnetka Road (1994) (TV series)
- Touched by an Angel (1996) (TV series)
- Dark Skies (1996–97) (TV series)
- Early Edition (1997) (TV series)
- Star Kid (1997)
- Brooklyn South (1998) (TV series)
- The Practice (1998) (TV series)
- Party of Five (1998, 97) (TV series)
- Judging Amy (2000) (TV series)
- Becker (2001) (TV series)
- Vampire Clan (2002)
- Joan of Arcadia (2003) (TV series)
- Crossing Jordan (2004) (TV series)
- 24 (2006) (TV series)
- The Unit (2007) (TV series)
- Dexter (2009) (TV series)
- Desperate Housewives (2010) (TV series)
- Torchwood (2011) (TV series)
- Imposters (2017–18) (TV series)
- "Jean Smart- Biography". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- Gans, Andrew (2007-01-02). "Jean Smart and Richard Gilliland Will Read Love Letters Feb. 10-11". Playbill.com. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- "Richard Gilliland, 'Designing Women' Actor and Husband of Jean Smart, Dies at 71". The Hollywood Reporter. 25 March 2021. Retrieved 3 May 2021.
- "Richard Gilliland, Actor and Husband of Jean Smart, Dead at 71". Entertainment Tonight. Retrieved 2021-03-26.
- "Richard Gilliland - Call Me Crazy: A Five Film Official Movie Site - myLifetime.com". Mylifetime.com. 20 April 2013. Archived from the original on 20 April 2013. Retrieved 17 January 2018.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)