Richard and Linda J. Eyre
The Eyres have written over a dozen books, with several of them becoming bestsellers. These include Teaching Your Children Values, which was the first parenting book to make it to the position of #1 New York Times bestseller since Dr. Spock's book. Eyre's Spiritual Serendipity: Cultivating and Celebrating the Art of the Unexpected was published by Simon & Schuster in 1997. Other books by Eyre include The Discovery of Joy (1974), Teaching Children Joy (1986), The Birth We Call Death with Paul H. Dunn, Life Before Life (2000) and How to Talk to Your Children About Sex, written with Linda. Besides writing these non-fiction works, Eyre wrote a novel entitled The Awakening. A more recent book by the Eyres, Empty Nesting Parenting: Adjusting Your Stewardship as Your Children Leave Home, has been recommended as reading for parents of college students.
Linda Eyre has also written several books on being a mother on her own or with other female authors.
Richard Eyre is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). As a young man, Eyre served as a missionary in New York City. He later served as a mission president in the church's England London South Mission. Baptisms spiked in the mission after the results of an opinion poll on parenthood conducted by Eyre were published in such publications as the London Evening Standard.
Eyre wrote the Encyclopedia of Mormonism article on Joy. He also wrote the section on the views of LDS Church in How Different Religions View Death and Afterlife: Second Edition Edited by Christopher Jay Johnson and Marsha McGee.
Eyre has also been a long-time advocate of schools of choice and voucher programs. He was a candidate for the governorship of Utah with this as one of his major campaign planks in 1992. Eyre won the support of the Republican State convention but lost to Mike Leavitt in the later Republican primary. Eyre has since been a major supporter of vouchers, and was one of the key speakers for the voucher proposition on Utah's 2007 ballot.
Linda has also served as a member of the Utah State University board of trustees.
- Birth year is from one an entry in the United States Copyright Office catalog. See: "Life before life : origins of the soul ... knowing where you came from and..." United States Copyright Office catalog. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- Harvard Alumni Association Club of Utah - Officers
- Ageless Learner Bookstore
- Mormon Literature Database - Eyre, Richard M
- Lake Superior State University :: Admissions :: Books and Guides
- Understanding Your Student: Parents: Dean of Students Office
- Church News, December 18, 1993.[full citation needed]
- Contributors to How Different Religions View Death and Afterlife, 2nd Ed
- "The Church in the Headlines", Ensign, August 1977, p. 75.
- Selection for the Encyclopedia of Mormonism: Jesus Christ and His Gospels, p. 310-311
- How Different Religions View Dea
- Meridian Magazine :: Meridian Family Value Archive: The Meridian Family Value of the Month
- Benson, Lee (October 21, 2007). "Yay or nay to vouchers? I vote ..." Deseret Morning News. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- 2002-2004 USU board of trustees
- Genessy, Jody (January 19, 1999). "East High hoopster enjoys a watered-down vacation". Deseret News. Retrieved 2009-06-08.