Richard Bolt (RNZAF officer)
Air Marshal Sir Richard Bruce Bolt, KBE, CB, DFC, AFC (16 July 1923 – 27 July 2014) was a bomber pilot in the Second World War and a senior Royal New Zealand Air Force officer in the post-war years. He was Chief of the Air Staff from 1974 to 1976 and Chief of the Defence Staff from 1976 to 1980, when he retired from the military.
Sir Richard Bolt
|Born||16 July 1923|
Auckland, New Zealand
|Died||27 July 2014 (aged 91)|
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
|Service/||Royal New Zealand Air Force|
|Years of service||1942–1980|
|Commands held||Chief of the Defence Staff (1976–80)|
Chief of the Air Staff (1974–76)
No. 24 Squadron (1955–57)
No. 40 Squadron (1954–55)
|Battles/wars||Second World War|
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire|
Companion of the Order of the Bath
Distinguished Flying Cross
Air Force Cross
Early life and careerEdit
During the Second World War, Bolt served with the Pathfinder Force, flying the Lancaster Bomber. After the War, Bolt held two different squadron commands as the Commanding Officer of No. 40 Squadron RNZAF and No. 24 (Commonwealth) Squadron RAF.
During the ANZUS crisis of 1984–85, Sir Richard was one of 16 senior retired officers and civil servants who wrote protesting the Fourth Labour Government's anti-nuclear policy. They were later referred to by David Lange as the 'geriatric generals'.
Honours and awardsEdit
Bolt was award the Distinguished Flying Cross in 1945. In the 1959 Queen's Birthday Honours the then Squadron Leader Bolt was awarded the Air Force Cross. In the 1977 New Year Honours, he was appointed a Companion of the Order of the Bath. In the 1973 Queen's Birthday Honours, Bolt was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire, and he was elevated to Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the 1979 Queen's Birthday Honours. In 1977, Bolt was awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal.
- "Births". New Zealand Herald. 18 July 1923. p. 1. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Nelson College Old Boys' Register, 1856–2006, 6th edition (CD-ROM).
- Dominion Post Obituary, 9 August 2014.
- "Sir Richard Bolt dies in Lower Hutt". Scoop Media. 28 July 2014. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "No. 37277". The London Gazette (Supplement). 21 September 1945. p. 4706.
- "No. 41729". The London Gazette (Supplement). 13 June 1959. p. 3741.
- "No. 47104". The London Gazette (3rd supplement). 31 December 1976. p. 44.
- "No. 45985". The London Gazette (Supplement). 2 June 1973. p. 6508.
- "No. 47871". The London Gazette (Supplement). 16 June 1979. p. 30.
- Taylor, Alister; Coddington, Deborah (1994). Honoured by the Queen – New Zealand. Auckland: New Zealand Who's Who Aotearoa. p. 71. ISBN 0-908578-34-2.