Richard Bertie, 14th Earl of Lindsey
Richard Henry Rupert Bertie, 14th Earl of Lindsey and 9th Earl of Abingdon (born 28 June 1931) is an English peer.
The Earl of Lindsey
Richard Henry Rupert Bertie
28 June 1931
Norah Elizabeth Farquhar-Oliver
(m. after 1957)
|Relations||Montagu Bertie, 7th Earl of Abingdon (grandfather)|
|Parents||Hon. Arthur Michael Bertie|
Aline Rose Arbuthnot-Leslie
Lindsey is the son of Maj. Hon. Arthur Michael Cosmo Bertie (1886–1957) and, his first wife, Aline Rose (née Arbuthnot-Leslie) Ramsay. Before his parent's marriage, his mother was married to Hon. Charles Fox Maule Ramsay (the fourth son of John Ramsay, 13th Earl of Dalhousie), who died in 1926. After his mother's death, his father married Lilian Isabel (née Cary-Elwes) Crackanthorpe, a daughter of Charles Edward Cary-Elwes, in May 1949.
His father was the second son of Montagu Bertie, 7th Earl of Abingdon from his grandfather's second marriage to Gwendoline Mary Dormer, a daughter of the Lt.-Gen. James Charlemagne Dormer, an officer of the British Army. His father had inherited the earldom in 1938 from his fifth cousin thrice removed, Montague Bertie, 12th Earl of Lindsey. His maternal grandparents were George Arbuthnot-Leslie and Mary Rose Leslie, 12th of Warthill, the Chieftain of Clan Leslie. His uncle was William Douglas Arbuthnot-Leslie, 13th of Warthill (direct ancestor of actress Rose Leslie). Through his ancestor Emily Gage he is descendant from the Schuyler and Van Cortlandt families of British North America.
Bertie did his national service with the Royal Norfolk Regiment, becoming a second lieutenant on 6 February 1952 with seniority from 3 February 1951. On 25 July 1952, he was given the acting rank of lieutenant, and the promotion was made substantive on 28 June 1954 with seniority from the date of his acting rank. Bertie was transferred to the Regular Army Reserve from the Army Emergency Reserve on 24 September 1957.
In 1957, Bertie married Norah Elizabeth Farquhar-Oliver, the second daughter of Mark Farquhar-Oliver (second son of Sir Henry Farquhar, 4th Baronet) and Norah Frances Sapphire Farquhar (the eldest daughter and co-heiress of Maj. Francis Douglas Farquhar and Lady Evelyn Hely-Hutchinson, herself the eldest daughter of John Hely-Hutchinson, 5th Earl of Donoughmore). Together, they were the parents of two sons and a daughter:
- Henry Mark Willoughby Bertie, Lord Norreys (b. 1958), who married Lucinda Sol Morsoom, a cousin of Toby Young, both descendants of Admiral Sir Robert Moorsom, in 1989.
- Lady Annabel Frances Rose Bertie (b. 1969)
- Hon. Alexander Michael Richard Willoughby Bertie (b. 1970), who married Catherine Davina Cameron, a daughter of Gordon Cameron, in 1998.
Through his youngest son, he is a grandfather of two, Fergus Bertie (b. 2000) and Emily Bertie (b. 2004).
- Montague-Smith, Patrick W., ed. (2008). "Lindsey and Abingdon, Earl of (Bertie) (Earl E 1626 and 1682)". Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage 2008. London: Debrett's Peerage Limited.
- "Dalhousie, Earl of (S, 1633)". www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk. Heraldic Media Limited. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
- "Lindsey, Earl of (E, 1626)". www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk. Heraldic Media Limited. Retrieved 15 October 2020.
- "EARL OF LINDSEY; Twelfth of Line Former Aide to Governor of New South Wales". The New York Times. 4 January 1938. Retrieved 16 October 2020.
- "No. 39473". The London Gazette (Supplement). 19 February 1952. p. 1034.
- "No. 39764". The London Gazette (Supplement). 27 January 1953. p. 620.
- "No. 40216". The London Gazette (Supplement). 25 June 1954. p. 3815.
- "No. 41220". The London Gazette (Supplement). 5 November 1957. p. 6466.
|Peerage of England|
| Earl of Lindsey
Henry Bertie, Lord Norreys