Montagu Towneley-Bertie, 13th Earl of Lindsey
Montagu Henry Edmund Cecil Towneley-Bertie, 13th Earl of Lindsey and 8th Earl of Abingdon (2 November 1887 – 11 September 1963), styled Lord Norreys between 1919 and 1928 and known as The 8th Earl of Abingdon from 1928 onwards, was an English peer.
Towneley-Bertie was the son of Montagu Charles Francis Towneley-Bertie, Lord Norreys and the Honourable Rose Riversdale Glyn. His father died in 1919, during his grandfather's lifetime, and Towneley-Bertie was thereafter styled Lord Norreys until he succeeded his grandfather, Montagu Bertie, 7th Earl of Abingdon, as Earl of Abingdon on 10 March 1928.
He was a family trustee of the British Museum, and High Steward of Abingdon. Upon the death on 2 January 1938 of his kinsman, Montague Bertie, 12th Earl of Lindsey, a fifth cousin thrice removed, he succeeded as 13th Earl of Lindsey. On his death in 1963 he was succeeded in his titles by his half-cousin, Richard Bertie, 14th Earl of Lindsey.
He married Elizabeth ('Bettine') Valetta Montagu-Stuart-Wortley, daughter of Major-General the Hon. Edward James Montagu-Stuart-Wortley and Violet Hunter Guthrie, on 11 August 1928. The marriage produced no children. When the Countess died in 1978, she left all her possessions- with a value of over £1.5 million- to her lifelong friend, Joyce, the wife of BBC television news editor Tahu Hole. They were later bequeathed to the Victoria and Albert Museum. The couple are buried in Brookwood Cemetery.
- "School Notes" (PDF). The Abingdonian.
- Burke's Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage, 2003, vol. 2, p. 2349
- The Bettine, Lady Abingdon Collection, the bequest of Mrs T. R. P. Hole: a Handbook, Sarah Medlam, Victoria and Albert Museum, 1996, pp 12-13, 71, 81, 84
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (2003 edition). London: Pan Macmillan, 2003.
- 'LINDSEY', Who Was Who, A & C Black, 1920–2007; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2007
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by The Earl of Abingdon
|Peerage of England|
Montagu Arthur Bertie
| Earl of Abingdon
Richard Henry Rupert Bertie
Montague Peregrine Albemarle Bertie
| Earl of Lindsey|
|This biography of an earl or countess in the Peerage of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|