Religion Dispatches is a daily non-profit online magazine covering religion, politics, and culture. RD covers topics of religious thought, past and present, that underwrite social structures, aimed at providing a nonsectarian platform for writers representing all religious traditions, including those who identify as "spiritual, but not religious".
|Former editors||Lisa Webster|
|Categories||Religion, online magazine|
|Founder||Gary Laderman, Linell Cady, and Evan Derkacz|
It was founded in 2007. The founders were Gary Laderman, a religion studies scholar from Emory University; Linell Cady, a religion studies scholar from Arizona State University; and Evan Derkacz, a journalist who formerly wrote for AlterNet. Lisa Webster, an editor and religion scholar, joined Evan as co-editor just before the magazine's launch in February 2008.
RD has won three Religion Newswriters Association (RNA) awards for Excellence in Religion Commentary and Analysis, a Wilbur Award for outstanding work by secular communicators on religion, and a Science for Religion Writers award from the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). The website was also recognized as an official Nominee for Webby Awards in the Religion & Spirituality category for the 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015 Webby Awards, and as an official Honoree for Best Editorial Writing in 2016.
Religion Dispatches was located at the University of Southern California's Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism's website from 2013 to 2018. Diane Winston, chairman of Media and Religion at USC, heads the publication.
- "A Broader Public: Writing on Religion for a Secular Audience – A Week with Religion Dispatches’ Editors and Author Elizabeth Drescher". Collegeville Institute for Ecumenical & Cultural Research. 2014.
- Drescher, Elizabeth. "As Religion Dispatches Turns". ElizabethDrescher.com. June 2, 2013.
- Jeff Sharlet (Feb 7, 2008). "Religion Dispatches". The Revealer. Archived from the original on 2013-11-04.
- "2016 RNA Contest Winners - Religion News Association & Foundation". www.rna.org. Retrieved 2017-02-15.
- "2015 RNA Contest Winners - Religion News Association & Foundation". www.rna.org. Retrieved 2017-02-15.
- "2016 Wilbur Award Winners (PDF)" (PDF).
- "Writers, Broadcasters to Receive 'Science for Religion Reporters' Award". AAAS - The World's Largest General Scientific Society. 2016-01-04. Retrieved 2017-02-15.
- Religion & Spirituality: Nominees. 2011 Webby Awards. Webby Awards.
- Religion & Spirituality: Nominees. 2012 Webby Awards. Webby Awards.
- Washington, Arlene. "Religion Dispatches Finds New Home at USC Annenberg". USC Annenberg News. October 2, 2013.
- "Moving Day: A Note from the Publisher". 2 January 2018.