The Reko Diq mine is located near Reko Diq town in Chagai District, Baluchistan, Pakistan.[1] It is a large copper mine located in the south west part of Pakistan in Balochistan province. Reko Diq represents one of the largest copper reserve in Pakistan and in the world having estimated reserves of 5.9 billion tonnes of ore grading 0.41% copper. The mine also has gold reserves amounting to 41.5 million oz.[2]

Reko Diq mine
Location
Reko Diq mine is located in Balochistan, Pakistan
Reko Diq mine
Reko Diq mine
Reko Diq mine is located in Pakistan
Reko Diq mine
Reko Diq mine
LocationChagai District
ProvinceBalochistan
CountryPakistan
Coordinates28°58′21″N 62°25′59″E / 28.97250°N 62.43306°E / 28.97250; 62.43306Coordinates: 28°58′21″N 62°25′59″E / 28.97250°N 62.43306°E / 28.97250; 62.43306
Production
ProductsCopper Gold

The Reko Diq area is part of the Tethyan Magmatic Arc, extending through central and southeast Europe ( Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece) Turkey, Iran and Pakistan through the Himalayan region into Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and Papua New Guinea. It contains wealth of large copper-gold ore deposits of varying grades.

The eastern and central sections of the belt are well recognized hosting world class mineralization such as Grasberg, Batu Hijau in Indonesia, Ok Tedi in Papua New Guinea and Sar Cheshmeh in Iran. Whereas in the eastern Europe it hosts world class porphyry/epithermal cluster of Bor, Majdanpek in Serbia and more recent developments include Skouries and Olympias Greece, and Çöpler in Turkey.

Reko Diq area is one of many eroded remnant volcanic centers in the Chagai volcanic chain of mountains which runs in an east–west line across Balochistan between the Quetta-Taftan Line railway and the border with Afghanistan. TCC has identified a large, low-grade copper-gold resource at Reko Diq.

Reko Diq ResourcesEdit

The Antofagasta PLC controlled by majority shareholders Chile's Luksic Group holds a 50% interest in Tethyan Copper Company Limited (“Tethyan”), its joint venture with Barrick Gold Corporation (“Barrick”). Tethyan is seeking to develop the Reko Diq copper-gold deposit in the Chagai Hills District of the province of Balochistan in south-west Pakistan. Tethyan has held a 75% interest in an exploration licence encompassing the Reko Diq deposit, with the Government of Balochistan (the provincial authority) holding the remaining 25% interest, resulting in an effective interest for the Antofagasta group of 37.5%.

The mineral resource at Reko Diq is estimated at 5.9 billion tonnes with an average copper grade of 0.41% and an average gold grade of 0.22 g/tonne. The Group’s 37.5% attributable share of this resource amounts to 2.2 billion tonnes.

Tethyan completed the feasibility study in respect of the project and submitted this to the Government of Balochistan in August 2010. On 15 February 2011, Tethyan submitted an application to the Government of Balochistan in accordance with the Balochistan Mineral Rules for a mining lease. On 15 November 2011, Tethyan was notified by the Government of Balochistan that the Government had rejected its application for a mining lease. Tethyan has commenced two international arbitrations in order to protect its legal rights. Tethyan was victorious in the arbitration proceedings.

The deposit at Reko Diq is a large low grade copper porphyry, with total mineral resources of 5.9 billion tons of ore with an average copper grade of 0.41% and gold grade of 0.22 g/ton. From this, the economically mineable portion of the deposit has been calculated at 2.2 billion tons, with an average copper grade of 0.53% and gold grade of 0.30 g/ton, with an annual production estimated at 200,000 tons of copper and 250,000 ounces of gold contained in 600,000 tons of concentrate.

According to the extensive technical financial studies undertaken, in order to secure optimal ‘economies of scale’ efficiencies, and lower mining and processing costs, a large scale, state of the art mining and processing unit is required at Reko Diq.

ReferencesEdit

[3]

  1. ^ "Magic mountains: The Reko Diq gold and copper mining project". Herald (Pakistan). 11 November 2015. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
  2. ^ "The mineral industry of Pakistan" (PDF). minerals.usgs.gov. 2011. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
  3. ^ "World Bank court orders Pakistan pay $5.8 billion damages to Tethyan Copper". PakistanToday. 13 July 2019. Retrieved 13 July 2019.