Rangam (transl. Scene) is a 1985 Indian Malayalam-language psychological drama film directed by I. V. Sasi and written by M. T. Vasudevan Nair. The film stars Mohanlal as Kathakali artist Appunni, along with Shobhana and Raveendran. The film features a musical score composed by K. V. Mahadevan.
|Directed by||I. V. Sasi|
|Written by||M. T. Vasudevan Nair|
|Music by||K. V. Mahadevan|
|Cinematography||N. A. Thara|
|Edited by||K. Narayanan|
VC Films International
|Distributed by||Century Release|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2020)
Appunni (Mohanlal) a Kathakali artist is the cousin of Chandramathi (Shobhana) who is a classical dancer and Appunni is in love with Chandramathi. Madhavan (Raveendran) son of Karunakarapanickker (Jagannatha Varma) who is the owner of Sadanam the Kathakali Kalari, returns from Russia and falls for Chandramathi and eventually they get married. Then enters (Mahalakshmi) she is artist wants to learn Kathakali and daughter of rich business man.
- Mohanlal as Appunni
- Shobhana as Chandrika/Chandramathi
- Raveendran as Madhavan
- Adoor Bhasi as Kunjikrishnan
- Raghavan as Naanu
- Sukumari as Chandrika's mother
- Santhakumari as Appunni's mother
- Kottayam Santha as Mrs. Sundaram
- Jagannatha Varma as Karunakara Panikker Ashan
- Master Suresh as Rajan
- Mahalakshmi as Jayanthi
The music was composed by K. V. Mahadevan and the lyrics were written by S. Ramesan Nair.
|1||"Aaraarum Ariyaathe"||Krishnachandran||S. Ramesan Nair|
|2||"Bhaavayaami Raghuraamam"||Vani Jairam|
|4||"Sarggathapassilakum Nimisham"||Vani Jairam||S. Ramesan Nair|
|5||"Swaathi Hridaya"||K. J. Yesudas||S. Ramesan Nair|
|6||"Thamburaan Paattinu"||Krishnachandran||S. Ramesan Nair|
|7||"Vanashree Mukham"||K. S. Chithra, Krishnachandran||S. Ramesan Nair|
In a retrospect review, Neelima Menon of The News Minute wrote: "Mohanlal aces the role of the unrequited lover who carries a torch for the lady. And the actor’s transition is more internal, letting us buy into his vocation as a Kathakali dancer effortlessly". In 2020, while writing about Mohanlal in Mathrubhumi, writer M. T. Vasudevan Nair said that, although he loves every roles he played in the screenplays he wrote, his performance in Rangam and Sadayam stays close to his heart the most.
- "Rangam". MalayalaChalachithram. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Rangam". malayalasangeetham.info. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Rangam". spicyonion.com. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Menon, Neelima (21 May 2020). "7 underrated Mohanlal films and where you can watch them online". The News Minute. Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- Nair, M. T. Vasudevan (21 May 2020). "'എന്റെ ഹൃദയത്തോട് ചേർന്ന് നിൽക്കുന്നത് അപ്പുണ്ണിയും സത്യനാഥനും'". Mathrubhumi (in Malayalam). Retrieved 26 May 2020.
|This article about a Malayalam film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|