Rajendra Setu, or Simaria Bridge, is a bridge across the Ganges that was the first to link the northern and southern portions of the state of Bihar. The location of the bridge was based on the work of M. Visvesvaraya, who was more than 90 years old at the time. In a wheelchair, he visited the bridge site on the special request of Bihar's chief minister, Shri Krishna Sinha. It was the first bridge over the Ganges to be built in independent India (after 1947).
|Coordinates||25°22′32″N 85°59′54″E / 25.3756°N 85.9983°E|
|Carries||Mokama-Barauni rail track, NH 31|
|Total length||2,000 metres (6,600 ft)|
|No. of spans||14 x 400 ft |
4 x 100 ft
|Engineering design by||Braithwaite, Burn & Jessop Construction Company|
|Daily traffic||Double road track & Single line rail track|
The road-cum-rail bridge near Hathidah in Patna district and Simaria in Begusarai district was inaugurated in 1959 by Jawaharlal Nehru, prime minister of India, and Shri Krishna Sinha. The bridge was constructed by Braithwaite, Burn & Jessop Construction Company. It is about 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) long and carries a two-lane road and a single-line railway track.
A new bridge, carrying the four-lane NH 31 and double-track rail, 25 metres upstream from the existing rail and road bridge, was planned in 2011.
The construction of the new parallel double-line railway bridge was inaugurated by prime minister Narendra Modi on 12 March 2016. The new 1.9 km railway bridge was supposed to be operational by February 2021, but is now expected to be operational by 2024. The contract for construction of the new bridge was awarded to M/s AFCONS Infrastructure Ltd by the Indian Railway Construction Company Limited (IRCON) on an EPC contract basis. Construction has also started on a new six-lane road bridge, which has a span of 34 metres, parallel to it, which is supposed to become operational by December 2023.
- ^ "Rajendra bridge falls off radar". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 25 August 2017.
- ^ "Ganga bridge bonanza New projects to ease travel hassle". Archived from the original on 2 June 2016.
- ^ "Sir's inimitable vision". The Hindu.
- ^ "THE JEWEL OF KARNATAKA". Archived from the original on 17 September 2016.
- ^ "Diversion to Rajendra Setu irks railways". Archived from the original on 12 June 2018.
- ^ "Rlys begins bridge renovation work". The Times of India. 12 July 2010. Archived from the original on 7 July 2011. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- ^ "Million dreams". Archived from the original on 14 April 2016.
- ^ "Indian railways history (after independence)". Indian Railways. Archived from the original on 5 October 2011. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- ^ "Four-lane connector over Sone, Ganga". The Telegraph, 8 April 2011. Archived from the original on 26 June 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- ^ "PM Modi inaugurates three major railway projects worth Rs 7000 crore in Bihar | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". Archived from the original on 23 April 2016. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- ^ "New Mokama rail bridge likely to be completed in 4 yrs - Times of India". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 18 March 2016. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- ^ "Bridge parallel to Rajendra Setu to be ready in 3 years". The Times of India.