Radisson is an international hotel chain of the Radisson Hotel Group. Since 2016, the parent company Radisson Hotel Group has been majority owned by China's HNA Group, but as of 2018 that stake is being resold to a consortium led by Jin Jiang.
|Industry||Hospitality, Hotels, Tourism|
|Headquarters||Minnetonka, Minnesota, U.S.|
|Trudy Rautio, President and CEO|
|Parent||Radisson Hotel Group|
The first Radisson hotel was built in 1909 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States. It is named after the 17th-century French explorer, ranger and furrier Pierre-Esprit Radisson. The hotel was purchased in 1962 by Curt Carlson (1914–1999).
The majority of Radisson-branded hotels are located in the United States. The company's headquarters, as well as the headquarters of the owner, Radisson Hospitality, Inc., are located in Minnetonka, Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis, the city where the first Radisson Hotel was built. The original Radisson Hotel, founded by heiress Edna Dickerson, was opened on December 15, 1909 at 41 South Seventh Street in Minneapolis.
Radisson Blu is the brand name for Radisson hotels primarily outside the United States, including those in Europe, Africa and Asia. The hotels were operated by Radisson Hospitality AB (former Rezidor Hotel Group AB), of which Radisson Hospitality, Inc. is the main stakeholder. Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS) was previously a major shareholder and licensed its brand for Radisson SAS hotels. Following the withdrawal of SAS from the partnership on February 4, 2009, the name was gradually replaced by Radisson Blu.[non-primary source needed]
Radisson Blu operates 158 hotels, with 42 projects in development. Radisson Blu previously did not exist within the borders of the United States. The first Radisson Blu in the United States opened in downtown Chicago in Aqua, a skyscraper, in November 2011. The second one opened in March 2013 in Bloomington, Minnesota and is connected to the Mall of America. Former Radisson Plaza hotels in Philadelphia and Minneapolis were converted to Radisson Blu.
Radisson Blu Edwardian HotelsEdit
Radisson Blu Edwardian Hotels is a luxury line of 13 hotels in London and Manchester; often operating in historic buildings.
Radisson RED is a hotel brand targeted at young travelers. It officially launched in 2015, with the first hotel opening in Brussels in April 2016. Hotels will be in cities worldwide, with a target of 60 locations by 2020.
- Jena Tesse Fox (August 10, 2018). "Jin Jiang to buy Radisson Hospitality from HNA Group". Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- "Radisson About us". Radisson. Archived from the original on 2009-03-28. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- Jack El-Hai, Lost Minnesota: Stories of Vanished Places (University of Minnesota Press, 2000) p48
- "Radisson SAS Hotels & Resorts to change their name to Radisson Blu". Rezidor. Retrieved 2009-02-22.[dead link]
- Karmin, Craig (February 18, 2014). "Radisson to Launch Hotel for Millennials". The Wall Street Journal. Archived from the original on August 6, 2016.
- "Radisson Blu to Open First Hotel in the U.S. in Chicago". Hotel Chatter. Archived from the original on 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2011-06-29.