Racing Point F1 Team
Racing Point F1 Team competing as SportPesa Racing Point F1 Team is the team that Racing Point UK has entered into the 2019 Formula One World Championship, using the constructor name of "Racing Point". The team, based in Silverstone, United Kingdom, competes under a British licence.
|Full name||SportPesa Racing Point F1 Team|
|Team principal(s)||Otmar Szafnauer|
(Team Principal & CEO)
(Performance Engineering Director)
|Previous name||Racing Point Force India|
|2019 Formula One World Championship|
|Race drivers||11. Sergio Pérez|
18. Lance Stroll
|Test drivers||Nick Yelloly|
|Engine||BWT Mercedes engine [note 1]|
|Formula One World Championship career|
|First entry||2019 Australian Grand Prix|
|Latest entry||2019 Brazilian Grand Prix|
The team was renamed in February 2019 from Racing Point Force India F1 Team, which used the constructor name of Racing Point Force India for the 2018 season. The 2019 season also saw the team branded as "SportPesa Racing Point F1 Team", acknowledging lead sponsor SportPesa, a sports betting company from Kenya. The team's car for the 2019 season, the Racing Point RP19, was announced in Toronto, Canada. The team's drivers for the 2019 season are Sergio Pérez and Lance Stroll, with the team making its racing debut at the 2019 Australian Grand Prix.
In December 2018, the FIA's first release of the 2019 Formula One World Championship entry list confirmed that Racing Point UK intended to drop "Force India" from their team's name, and would contest the 2019 championship with their team renamed as "Racing Point F1 Team".
At the 2019 Belgian Grand Prix, it was confirmed that Stroll has been re-signed for 2020 and Pérez has been signed until 2022. Pérez is set to now spend at least 8 consecutive seasons with the team in total (since 2014).
I've been working together with this group of people for a long time now and they have become my second family.
Together we have enjoyed a tremendous amount of success and we share the same passion for racing. I have been impressed with the direction the team has taken over the last 12 months and that gives me confidence for the future.
I believe the best times are still to come and I look forward to celebrating plenty of podiums in the years ahead.— Pérez commenting on why he signed a 3 year deal with Racing Point
Over the last six years we have seen Sergio become a very complete driver with excellent qualifying speed and exceptional race craft. He believes in the long-term vision of this project and getting his commitment until the end of 2022 gives us valuable consistency going forward. As the team continues to grow and develop, it's important to have a driver with Sergio's level of experience, especially with new regulations on the horizon.— Otmar Szafnauer, Team Principal of Racing Point, explained why he signed Pérez until the end of 2022
Stroll "will likely have a seat at the team for as long as he is a Formula 1 driver." This is because Lance Stroll's father, Lawrence Stroll, leads the consortium that owns the team.
Complete Formula One resultsEdit
|2019||RP19||BWT Mercedes 1.6 V6 t [note 1]||P||AUS||BHR||CHN||AZE||ESP||MON||CAN||FRA||AUT||GBR||GER||HUN||BEL||ITA||SIN||RUS||JPN||MEX||USA||BRA||ABU||67*||7th*|
- * – Season still in progress.
- † – The driver did not finish the Grand Prix, but was classified as he completed over 90% of the race distance.
- Racing Point F1 Team uses Mercedes M10 EQ Power+ power units. For sponsorship purposes, these engines are rebadged as "BWT Mercedes".
- "2019 FIA Formula One World Championship Entry List". Federation Internationale de l'Automobile. 14 March 2015. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- "Sergio Perez confirmed for 2019 with Racing Point Force India". Racing Point Force India. Retrieved 18 October 2018.
- "Lance Stroll to race alongside Sergio Perez in 2019". Force India. 30 November 2018. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "SportPesa Racing Point F1 Team launches in Toronto". Racing Point. 13 February 2019. Retrieved 3 March 2019.
- "Force India to be renamed Racing Point for 2019". ESPN. 1 December 2018. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- James Gilboy. "F1: Force India Confirms Lance Stroll Will Partner Sergio Perez in 2019". The Drive. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- "Racing Point: Lance Stroll and Sergio Perez confirmed for 2020 season". 30 August 2019. Retrieved 2 September 2019 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Racing Point - Seasons". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- "Racing Point - Grands Prix started 2019". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 3 September 2019.