R2B: Return to Base
R2B: Return to Base (Hangul: 알투비: 리턴투베이스; RR: Altubi: Riteontu Be-iseu) is a 2012 South Korean aviation action drama film loosely based on the critically acclaimed 1986 film Top Gun. The film stars Rain, Shin Se-kyung and Yoo Jun-sang in lead roles. It was directed by Kim Dong-won and is a remake of Shin Sang-ok's 1964 film Red Scarf. It is about a talented, yet troublemaking, elite air force pilot who is demoted to a combat flying unit. It was released on 15 August 2012. Republic of Korea Air Force was heavily involved to support filming.
|R2B: Return to Base|
Promotional poster for R2B: Return to Base
|Revised Romanization||Altubi: Riteontu Be-iseu|
|McCune–Reischauer||Alt'upi: Rit'ŏnt'u Peisŭ|
|Directed by||Kim Dong-won|
|Produced by||Jang Tae-gon
|Written by||Kim Dong-joo|
|Music by||Lee Jae-hak|
|Edited by||Shin Min-kyung|
|Distributed by||CJ Entertainment (international)|
|Box office||US$7.3 million|
The film is also known under the alternate titles Black Eagle and Soar Into the Sun.
Captain Jung Tae-yoon (Rain), a South Korean Air Force pilot in the Black Eagles aerobatic team, performs a cocky and dangerous maneuver during an air show and is transferred to the 21st Fighter Wing, a combat unit flying the F-15K strike fighter. There he meets Cheol-hee (Yoo Jun-sang), the unit's own top gun. The two come into conflict immediately, since Tae-hun is free-spirited, whereas Cheol-hee plays by the rules. However, when a reconnaissance mission unexpectedly becomes an incident, the two team up to rescue their missing comrades and avert a nuclear exchange between North and South Korea. As a consequence of the mission, a F-15 has been shot down on the North Korean side of the Demilitarized Zone and a Korean People's Air Force MiG-29 entered South Korean airspace and bombed Seoul.
A rescue mission is sent, with South Korean air force pararescue in heavily armed Blackhawk helicopters supported by a strike package involving a KAI T-50 and F-15s armed with Mavericks, JDAMS and Sidewinders. The F-15 pilots manage to down the rogue MiG-29 which earlier attacked Seoul and restore the honour of their country and their squadron. The rescue mission and a strike against a nuclear silo are a success, however, the T-50 is lost while trying to evade a SAM. Despite the odds, the pilot survives; the end shows Jung giving his final respects to his fallen comrade.
- Rain - Captain Jung Tae-yoon, a former Black Eagles pilot who is reassigned to the 21st Fighter Wing as a F-15K pilot
- Shin Se-kyung - Technical Sergeant Yoo Se-young, a 21st Fighter Wing mechanic & Tae-Yoon's love interest.
- Yoo Jun-sang - Major Lee Cheol-hee, a former Top Gun 21st Fighter Wing
- Lee Ha-na - Captain Oh Yoo-jin, Tae-yoon's Air Force Academy classmate and Cheol-hee's weapon systems officer (WSO).
- Kim Sung-soo - Major Park Dae-suh, Tae-yoon's academy senior and flight leader in the 21st Fighter Wing
- Lee Jong-suk - First Lieutenant Ji Seok-hyun, rookie pilot and Tae-yoon's WSO
- Jung Kyung-ho - Captain Jo Tae-bong, a pilot
- Jung Suk-won - Technical Sergeant Choi Min-ho, a pararescueman
- Jo Sung-ha - Brigadier General Choi Byeong-gil, 21st Fighter Wing commander
- Oh Dal-su - Master Sergeant Min Dong-phil, 21st Fighter Wing maintenance crew chief
Before the film's release it was reported to have sold to 30 countries including Thailand, Taiwan, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, and other parts of Asia as well as England, France, Germany and Italy. It is also set to screen in 13 cities across North America premiering in Los Angeles on 24 August and continuing in San Diego, Seattle, Dallas, Atlanta, Washington DC, Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York, Honolulu, Toronto and Vancouver in Canada; closing in Chicago on 31 August.
- "Director Kim Dong-Won's Soar Into the Sun Launches a New Teaser Poster". BeyondHollywood.com. 2012-06-16. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "Brand New Image from Director Kim Dong-Won's Soar into the Sun". BeyondHollywood.com. 2012-05-23. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "'R2B:리턴투베이스' 티저포스터 공개 | 뉴스와이어". Newswire.co.kr. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "영화정보 – Daum 영화". Movie.daum.net. 2012-06-15. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- Bullet Ballet (2012-06-20). "Teaser Trailer for Top Gun... I Mean Korean Blockbuster SOAR INTO THE SUN | Twitch". Twitch Film. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "South Korean Sensation Rain Enters Military as Hundreds of Fans Bid Him Farewell" The Hollywood Reporter. 11 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-14
- "R2B: Return to Base (2012)". The Chosun Ilbo. 17 August 2012. Retrieved 15 November 2012.
- Jeon, Hyung Hwa (13 August 2012). "Return 2 Base that Rain starred in presold to 30 countries including England and U.S". Star News. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Rain's R2B set to land in North America". Korean Film Biz Zone. Korean Film Council. 23 August 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2012.