Quenton Nelson (born March 19, 1996) is an American football offensive guard for the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Notre Dame and was drafted by the Colts in the first round (sixth overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft. In his first two seasons in the league, Nelson was named a first-team All-Pro selection and voted to the Pro Bowl.
|No. 56 – Indianapolis Colts|
|Born:||March 19, 1996|
Holmdel, New Jersey
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||330 lb (150 kg)|
|High school:||Red Bank Catholic|
(Red Bank, New Jersey)
|NFL Draft:||2018 / Round: 1 / Pick: 6|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2019|
Nelson is the youngest of 4 children of Craig and Maryellen Nelson, in which she noted Quentin to be a large baby at birth (10lb 10 oz or 4.82kg). He grew up in Holmdel Township, New Jersey and attended Holmdel High School as a freshman before transferring to Red Bank Catholic High School in Red Bank, New Jersey, where he was an All-Star in basketball as a power forward/center. He committed to the University of Notre Dame to play college football. He also supplemented his football and strength trainings with Taekwondo.
After redshirting his first year at Notre Dame in 2014, Nelson played in all 12 games and made one start in 2015. In 2016, he started all 12 games. He was named a unanimous first team All-American after the 2017 season. On January 8, 2018, Nelson announced that he would forgo his last year of eligibility and enter the draft.
At the conclusion of the pre-draft process, Nelson was projected a top ten selection in the first round by NFL draft experts and scouts. He was ranked as the top offensive linemen prospect in the draft by Sports Illustrated and NFL analysts Daniel Jeremiah and Mike Mayock.
|NFL Draft Profile: Quenton Nelson|
|Quenton Nelson's NFL Combine Workout|
|Nelson puts up 35 reps on bench press|
|Height||Weight||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 5 in
|33 3⁄4 in
|10 3⁄8 in
|4.62 s||7.65 s||26 1⁄2 in
|8 ft 9 in
|All values from NFL Draft|
|Colts draft Quenton Nelson sixth overall|
|Jim Irsay calls Quenton Nelson|
The Indianapolis Colts selected Nelson in the first round (sixth overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft. On May 11, 2018, the Colts signed Nelson to a fully guaranteed four-year, $23.88 million contract, including a signing bonus of $15.45 million. On November 1, 2018, Nelson was named the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month for October, after he was part of an offensive line that hadn't allowed a sack in 156 straight dropbacks and had 200 rushing yards in back-to-back games for first time in 33 years. Nelson becoming the first guard to ever win the award, and he and Darius Leonard (who won Defensive Player of the Month in September) became the first teammates to win awards in the same season. He was named to the Pro Bowl as a rookie and was named first-team All-Pro.
- Quenton Nelson: The Left Guard YOU Should be Talking About | NFL Films Presents, retrieved December 13, 2019
- Lanni, Patrick (May 2, 2013). "Notre Dame lands commitment from Quenton Nelson of Red Bank Catholic". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved November 18, 2017.
- Edelson, Nelson (April 26, 2018). "NFL Draft: Colts select Holmdel's Quenton Nelson No. 6 overall". Asbury Park Press. Retrieved August 20, 2018.
- Hamilton, Brian (May 2, 2013). "Notre Dame football: Quenton Nelson commits". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved April 24, 2018.
- Fortuna, Matt (May 2, 2013). "Quenton Nelson becomes No. 9 for 2014". espn. Retrieved April 24, 2018.
- "Freak Notre Dame Recruit Quenton Nelson Destroys Two Boards with One Punch". Bleacher Report. June 2, 2014. Retrieved April 24, 2018.
- Edelson, Stephen (September 29, 2015). "Notre Dame's Quenton Nelson flashes his potential". app.com. Retrieved April 24, 2018.
- Vorel, Mike (November 1, 2017). "How Notre Dame's Quenton Nelson evolved into the nation's most feared offensive lineman". ND Insider. Retrieved April 24, 2018.
- Staton, Rob (September 21, 2017). "Quenton Nelson is tremendous & a very early 2018 pick". Seattle pi. Retrieved April 24, 2018.
- Stankevitz, JJ (September 24, 2015). "Quenton Nelson bringing a mean streak to Notre Dame's OL". NBC Spots Chicago. Retrieved April 24, 2018.
- "Notre Dame guard Quenton Nelson entering the 2018 draft". CBS Sports. January 8, 2018. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Jeremiah, Daniel (April 25, 2018). "Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 prospects for 2018 NFL Draft". NFL.com. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- "The 2018 NFL Draft Big Board, Vol 2". si.com. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- "NFL Draft Prospect Profile - Quenton Nelson". nfl.com. March 1, 2018. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- "Notre Dame OG Quenton Nelson : 2018 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile". NFLDraftScout.com. Retrieved May 12, 2018.
- Patra, Kevin (April 26, 2018). "Quenton Nelson selected by Colts at No. 6 overall". NFL.com.
- "Spotrac.com: Quenton Nelson contract". Spotrac.com. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- Zak Keefer (November 1, 2018). "Colts' Quenton Nelson named Offensive Rookie of the Month". IndyStar. Retrieved November 1, 2018.
- Teope, Herbie (January 4, 2019). "All-Pro Team: Donald, Mahomes among highlights". NFL.com.