Punk Goes 90s Vol. 2
Punk Goes 90s Vol. 2 is the fifteenth compilation album in the Punk Goes... series and the second installment in the Punk Goes '90s series, the first being released in 2006. Each artist that appeared on the album was approached by Fearless Records to cover a song from the 1990s.
|Punk Goes 90s Vol. 2|
|Compilation album by|
|Released||April 1, 2014|
|Genre||Metalcore, post-hardcore, pop punk, alternative rock|
|Length||47:42, (Japanese Edition) 41:41|
|"Punk Goes..." chronology|
|Singles from Punk Goes 90s Vol. 2|
Background and releaseEdit
The album was announced by Fearless Records through a video teaser, posted on January 1, 2014, which also revealed that the first single from the album, to be released on January 7, would be Get Scared's cover of "My Own Worst Enemy" by Lit. It was announced on February 6 that the album would be released on April 1 the same year; the album's full track listing and artwork were released on the same day.
The next song released from the album was Asking Alexandria's cover of Nine Inch Nails' song "Closer", released on February 25. In March it was revealed that rock band Mayday Parade had been recording a music video for their cover of "Comedown" by Bush. The song itself was released on March 18, accompanied by its lyric video.
The album was officially released on April 1, along with the release of Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!'s music video for "All Star", originally by Smash Mouth. Smash Mouth themselves praised the band's cover and stated that they were excited for the new album. Music videos for Hands Like Houses' cover of "Torn" (Ednaswap) and Falling in Reverse's "Gangsta's Paradise" (Coolio) were also released.
Asking Alexandria chose to cover "Closer" due to its "gritty, dirty" sound. Guitarist Ben Bruce explained "Growing up in the '90s means that all of us have a soft spot for '90s jams from the weird and wonderful, to the cheesy boy bands to the dirty and grungy!" Falling in Reverse's cover of "Gangsta's Paradise" featured Ronnie Radke rapping.
Japan additionally received a second disk of Japanese artists covering American 90's songs. Artists featured included Artema, Before My Life Fails, Cleave, Fear From The Hate, A Ghost of Flare, Her Name In Blood, Lost, Make My Day, The Winking Owl, キバオブアキバ and ヒステリックパニック.
Brian Kraus of the Alternative Press stated that not one song from the album sounded like it was recorded in the 1990s, going on to say that Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!'s "All Star" was one of the highlights of the album, despite it being "corny". He also praised The Color Morale's approach to the Foo Fighters song "Everlong" and gave the album 3/5 stars overall, stating "Vol. 2 is worth a visit, because with covers, sometimes even the trainwrecks are entertaining."
|1.||"My Own Worst Enemy"||Get Scared||Lit||3:01|
|2.||"Interstate Love Song"||Memphis May Fire||Stone Temple Pilots||3:14|
|3.||"Closer"||Asking Alexandria||Nine Inch Nails||6:21|
|4.||"Everlong"||The Color Morale||Foo Fighters||4:02|
|5.||"All Star"||Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!||Smash Mouth||3:20|
|7.||"Du Hast"||Motionless in White||Rammstein||3:57|
|8.||"Today"||Yellowcard||The Smashing Pumpkins||3:22|
|9.||"Torn"||Hands Like Houses||Ednaswap (as covered by Natalie Imbruglia)||3:47|
|10.||"Southtown"||The Ghost Inside||P.O.D.||4:09|
|11.||"Gangsta’s Paradise"||Falling in Reverse||Coolio featuring L.V.||3:54|
|12.||"Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)"||Ice Nine Kills||Green Day||3:03|
The Japan Edition contained a second CD which included 11 tracks by various Japanese bands covering American songs from the 1990s.
|1.||"Guerrilla Radio"||BEFORE MY LIFE FAILS||Rage Against the Machine||3:32|
|2.||"Heart-Shaped Box"||The Winking Owl||Nirvana||3:57|
|4.||"Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)"||HER NAME IN BLOOD||The Offspring||3:14|
|6.||"Around the World"||ヒステリックパニック (Hysteric Panic)||Red Hot Chili Peppers||3:30|
|7.||"I Don't Want To Miss A Thing"||Make My Day||Aerosmith||3:38|
|8.||"A Whole New World" (From Aladdin)||キバオブアキバ (KIBA OF AKIBA)||Regina Belle and Peabo Bryson||4:16|
|9.||"Rock Is Dead"||Fear From The Hate||Marilyn Manson||4:15|
|10.||"Falling Away from Me||A Ghost Of Flare||KoЯn||4:00|
|11.||"Don't Look Back in Anger"||Cleave||Oasis||4:16|
Sampler Track listingEdit
Punk Goes 90s Vol. 2 also included a bonus sampler CD with every physical copy of the album when bought through Alternative Press. The sampler CD contains 10 previous released songs by bands from the Fearless Records label.
|2.||"Hollow Bodies"||Blessthefall||Hollow Bodies||4:18|
|3.||"Badly Broken"||Get Scared||Everyone's Out To Get Me||3:24|
|4.||"Hold Onto Me"||Mayday Parade||Monsters in the Closet||3:14|
|5.||"Late Nights In My Car"||Real Friends||Put Yourself Back Together EP||3:21|
|6.||"Haters Gonna Hate"||Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!||Pardon My French||3:23|
|7.||"Some Place On Earth"||The Downtown Fiction||Losers & Kings||3:38|
|8.||"Sick From The Melt"||Motionless in White Featuring Trevor Friedrich of Combichrist||Infamous||3:23|
|9.||"(Everything) Is Debatable"||Hellogoodbye||Everything Is Debatable||3;59|
|10.||"The Power in Belief"||Ice Nine Kills||The Predator Becomes the Prey||3:39|
Charts and release historyEdit
|The Billboard 200||41|
|Top Hard Rock Albums||7|
|Top Independent Albums||8|
|Top Modern Rock/Alternative Albums||10|
|Top Rock Albums||13|
|Worldwide||April 1, 2014||CD, CS, DL, LP|
- Kraus, Brian. "Various Artists - Punk Goes 90s Vol. 2". AltPress.com. AltPress. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- Punknews.org review
- Crane, Matt. "Fearless Records announce 'Punk Goes 90s Volume 2'". AltPress.com. AlrPress. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- "Fearless Records Reveal 'Punk Goes 90s Vol. 2' Tracklisting". RockSound.com. RockSound. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- Crane, Matt. "Asking Alexandria release Nine Inch Nails cover, "Closer"". AltPress. AltPress. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- Bird, Michele. "Mayday Parade post behind-the-scenes video for "Comedown" cover". AltPress.com. AltPress. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- Ableson, Jon. "Mayday Parade Release Cover of Bush's "Comedown"". AlterThePress.com. AlterThePress. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- Crane, Matt. "Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! release "All Star" video from 'Punk Goes '90s'". AltPress.com. AltPress. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- Crane, Matt. "AltPress". AltPress.com. AltPress. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- Emily. "Falling in Reverse premiere Gangsta's Paradise video". Kerrang.com. Kerrang!. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- Bowar, Chad. "Asking Alexandria Cover Nine Inch Nails' 'Closer' for 'Punk Goes '90s Vol. 2′". Loudwire.com. Loudwire. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- Hartmann, Graham. "Falling In Reverse cover Coolio Gangstas Paradise". Loudwire.com. Loudwire. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- "Various Artists Punk Goes 90's, Vol. 2 Awards". AllMusic.com. AllMusic. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- "Various Artists Punk Goes 90's, Vol. 2 Releases". AllMusic.com. AllMusic. Retrieved 11 May 2014.