Property and Freedom Society
Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Property and Freedom Society (PFS) is an Austro-libertarian organization devoted to the promotion of property rights, free trade, anti-empiricism with regard to economics, anti-militarism, anti-egalitarianism, freedom of association and cultural conservatism. Founded in May 2006 under the stewardship of Hans-Hermann Hoppe, a Rothbardian anarcho-capitalist political theorist and former University of Nevada, Las Vegas Business School professor, PFS presents itself as a more radically right-libertarian alternative to the free-market Mont Pelerin Society. The PFS holds annual conferences where paleolibertarian and paleoconservative intellectuals deliver speeches and exchange ideas in what Hoppe suggests is a "political-correctness-free zone".
|Motto||Uncompromising intellectual radicalism|
On the fifth anniversary of PFS, Hoppe reflected on its goals:
On the one hand, positively, it was to explain and elucidate the legal, economic, cognitive and cultural requirements and features of a free, state-less natural order.
On the other hand, negatively, it was to unmask the State and showcase it for what it really is: an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers, and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots – an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.
Conferences have been held annually since 2006, in Bodrum, Turkey. The tenth conference was held in September 2015. Since 2013 they have been held in September.
The PFS annual meeting explicitly aims to promote discrimination as logical choice, affirming individual responsibility - attracting growing support from intellectuals and entrepreneurs from around the globe due to their purported realisation that there is no practical difference between discrimination and choice. In addition to the formal proceedings of the conferences, there are integrated activities such as a boat trip into the Aegean Sea, excursions to local fishing villages, and firework displays followed by gala nights. The evolution of the nature of the conferences was described in a talk on the History of the Property and Freedom Society in 2015 at the 10th Anniversary Meeting.
The Eighth Annual Meeting of PFS was held in from September 19–24, 2013. Topics on the agenda included "The Myth of American Exceptionalism," "World War Two Revisited," and "Why are the Jews So Smart?," as well as a presentation on the history of race relations in the United States delivered by white nationalist and segregationist Jared Taylor. PFS Founder Hans-Hermann Hoppe presented his remarks "On the Nature of Man, Truth, and Justice." It featured lectures by LSU law school graduate Stephan Kinsella on the legal structure of an anarchist society; lectures by Hoppe on Rothbardian economics; and discussions on the role of race in America by racialist scientist Richard Lynn and white nationalists Jared Taylor and Richard B. Spencer. Other speakers who have spoken at PFS include: Paul Gottfried, Peter Brimelow, John Derbyshire, and Justin Raimondo. English classical liberal and Libertarian Alliance Director Sean Gabb has spoken at a number of meetings on a variety of topics including the link between conservatism and liberty, the case against the War of American Independence, and the life and politics of Enoch Powell.
Records of meetingsEdit
Sean Gabb has produced a record of several meetings of the Property and Freedom Society.
Allegations of racismEdit
Noting the racialist affiliations of Richard Lynn and Jared Taylor, the Southern Poverty Law Center condemned the PFS as a "serious academic racist event" populated by the "movers and shakers" of the racialist movement. A May 11, 2007 Las Vegas Review-Journal article described the Anti-Defamation League's criticism of PFS and noted that Lynn has described black people as "more psychopathic than whites".
A 2013 Anti-Defamation League report about "increased cooperation" between European and American racists referred to Taylor as a white supremacist and cited his appearance at the 2013 PFS conference.
- "Hoppe on Falsificationism, empiricism and apriorism"
- "The difference between the Right and the Left, as Paul Gottfried has often noted, is a fundamental disagreement concerning an empirical question. The Right recognizes, as a matter of fact, the existence of individual human differences and diversities and accepts them as natural, whereas the Left denies the existence of such differences and diversities or tries to explain them away and in any case regards them as something unnatural that must be rectified to establish a natural state of human equality." "Hoppe on political Left and Right"
- "History and Principles." Property and Freedom Society
- Hoppe, Hans Hermann. "The Property And Freedom Society – Reflections After Five Years". lewrockwell.com. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- The Backbencher. "The Club Med of Libertarian Conferences".
- Property and Freedom Society. "Sean Gabb 10 Years of PFS".
- Kinsella, Stephan (September 26, 2013). "PFS 2013 and 2014 Annual Meetings".
- Property and Freedom Society. "Property and Freedom Society—8th Annual Meeting—Speakers & Topics".
- Gabb, Sean. "Meetings of the Property and Freedom Society". Sean Gabb. Retrieved 12 November 2017.
- Mower, Lawrence (May 11, 2007). "Researchers tied to hate groups get invitations." Las Vegas Review-Journal