This is a list of presidents of the Republic of Tatarstan, a republic within Russia. As the Head of State and Head of Government of the Republic of Tatarstan it is the most important regional official and the highest executive position in Tatarstan. The title was created in 1991.
|President of the Republic of Tatarstan|
|Inaugural holder||Mintimer Shaimiev|
|Formation||12 June 1994|
Following the expiration in 2017 of the 1994 agreement between Moscow and Kazan, which granted Tatarstan substantial autonomy, the title of President was expected to be replaced with Head of the Republic, as it was done with all other Russian republics. The government of Tatarstan resisted attempts to have the title abolished and the federal government declined to press the issue. However, shortly after a legislative election held in September 2021 a bill was submitted to the State Duma to unify the titles of the leaders of all Russia's regions to "Head". The bill, widely seen as directly aimed at Tatarstan, would ban the title "President" throughout the country and reserve it exclusively for the President of Russia. In response lawmakers in the State Council voted against the bill, however, this is unlikely to stop it from being adopted. The bill was approved in its first reading in November and is expected to be formally adopted in December.
Presidents of TatarstanEdit
|#||Portrait||Name||Took Office||Left Office||Political Party|
|4 July 1991||3 April 1996||Independent|
|3 April 1996||12 April 2001||Fatherland — All Russia|
|12 April 2001||25 March 2005||United Russia|
|25 March 2005||25 March 2010|
|25 March 2010||18 September 2015||United Russia|
|18 September 2015||18 September 2020|
|18 September 2020||Incumbent|
The latest election for the office was held on 13 September 2020.
|Rustam Minnikhanov||United Russia||1,930,355||83.27|
|Almir Mikheyev||A Just Russia||114,309||4.93|
|Alfred Valiyev||Communists of Russia||107,501||4.64|
|Oleg Korobchenko||Party of Growth||82,959||3.58|
- Kozlov, Peter (2017-08-11). "The Kremlin will not extend the agreement with Tatarstan. Will it change something?". BBC (in Russian). Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Tatarstan does not want to give up the presidential post". Kommersant (in Russian). 29 December 2020. Retrieved 10 September 2021.
- Pertsev, Andrei (8 October 2021). "Resets for the 'right people': Russia plans to do away with term limits for regional leaders". Meduza. Retrieved 27 October 2021.
- Coalson, Robert (19 October 2021). "Putin's Power Play? Tatarstan Activists Say Loss Of 'President' Title Would Be An Existential Blow". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. Retrieved 20 October 2021.
- "Russia's Tatarstan may lose president despite MPs rejecting bill". Daily Sabah. 27 October 2021. Retrieved 27 October 2021.
- "State Duma adopts law prohibiting heads of regions to be called presidents". Realnoe Vremya. 11 November 2021. Retrieved 11 November 2021.
- "History of presidential elections in Tatarstan". TASS (in Russian). 2020-09-11.