Prayer warriors may pray for individuals, or for entire states or regions. One recent development has been prayer undertaken by groups of people flying over the areas for which they wish to undertake intercession.
While not all prayer warriors are evangelical Christians, some are. During the Iraq War, one aspect of the debate over U.S. involvement was a "prayer battle," with one side praying in support of the policies of the Bush Administration and the other taking an anti-war stance. Alabama Governor Bob Riley urged his constituents to act as prayer warriors, and Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue designated a three-day prayer weekend that he cast as a spiritual battle. Although most "prayer warriors for peace" were identified as Christians, Muslims in the U.S. and Indonesia were also said to have taken part.
Sarah Palin, the Vice-Presidential candidate for the Republican Party in the 2008 U.S. presidential elections, regularly acknowledges the support of prayer warriors in her speeches and interviews, and has spoken of them as offering a "prayer shield." As a candidate, she thanked prayer warriors for their support and spoke of divine intervention in the election as a result.
- Stephen Hunt, Christian Millenarianism: from the Early Church to Waco (Indiana University Press, 2001), p. 60 online.
- Sharon Coolidge, "'Prayer warriors' take to the sky for salvation", Cincinnati.com, 6 April 2007
- Rebecca Phillips, "Prayer Warriors' New Battle," belief.net retrieved 2 September 2010.
- Phillips, "Prayer Warriors' New Battle," p. 4.
- Michael Joseph Gross, "Sarah Palin the Sound and the Fury," Vanity Fair October 2010, retrieved 2 September 2010.
- Ernest Luning, "Palin thanks ‘prayer warriors’ in Dobson interview," Colorado Independent 22 October 2008, retrieved 2 September 2010.
- In an interview with James Dobson, Palin said, "Well, it is that intercession that is so needed and so greatly appreciated. And I can feel it too, Dr. Dobson. I can feel the power or prayer and that strength is provided through our prayer warriors across this nation and I so appreciate it." "The Amazing Palin-Dobson Interview," belief.net transcription 22 October 2008, retrieved 2 September 2010.