This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2019)
Powder is an Indian crime television series which aired on Sony Entertainment Television from 3 January 2010 to 24 June 2010.
|Directed by||Atul Sabharwal|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||26|
|Running time||48 minutes|
|Production company||YRF Television|
|Original network||Sony Entertainment Television|
|Original release||3 January –|
24 June 2010
Powder is about the narcotics trade in Mumbai, and two men who are on the opposite ends of the law—Head of the NCB (Narcotics Control Bureau) Usmaan Malik (Manish Choudhary) and Mumbai drug kingpin Naved Ansari (Pankaj Tripathi). Both Usmaan and Naved grew up in the slums of Mumbai and chose different paths that eventually put them in front of each other. The biggest challenge for Usmaan and his team at NCB is to connect Naved with any drug bust or evidence, mainly because Naved is a ghost who does not exist in any civil records. Naved on the other hand, while fending off the authorities off his back, also struggles to climb the political ladder of his own business. The show explores the basic human traits like greed, loyalty, power, friendship, love and betrayal—while showing how the drug trade and authorities function.
During the end of the series, a real life detective from DRI (Directorate of Revenue Intelligence), an institution that had also been portrayed in the series, applauded the makers for their tedious research work and steadfast allegiance to reality. The show was widely lauded for its storytelling and execution, but fell prey to low ratings and kept being pushed into the late night slots.
- Usmaan Ali Malik- Played by Manish Choudhary, Usmaan is the superintendent of the Narcotics Control Bureau, Mumbai.
- Naved Ansari- The kingpin of the Mumbai drug scene, played by Pankaj Tripathi.
- Rati- played by Rasika Dugal.
- Brinda Sawhney- A new recruit who is the only female officer in the NCB. Played by Geetika Tyagi.
- Mahendra Ranade- A young, tough intelligence officer in the NCB. Played by Rahul Bagga.
- Mr. Joshi- An Investigation Officer. Played by Shahab Khan.
- Umesh Jagdale - A cop, played by Vikas Kumar.
- ^ "Busting 'powder' crime". Deccan Herald. 23 January 2010.
- ^ Johri, Vikram. "Cult TV series 'Powder' is finally getting the platform and attention it deserves". Scroll.in.
- ^ "First of Many: Vikas Kumar revisits Powder". 9 June 2021.