Popovac is a village and municipality in Osijek-Baranja County, Croatia. There are 2,084 inhabitants in the municipality (2011 census). Popovac is underdeveloped municipality which is statistically classified as the First Category Area of Special State Concern by the Government of Croatia.
Popovac municipality within Osijek-Baranja County
|• Mayor||Zoran Kontak|
|• Total||62.41 km2 (24.10 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (Central European Time)|
Its name derived from the Slavic word "pop" ("priest" in English). In Hungarian, the village is known as Baranyabán.
As of 2011, ethnic groups in the municipality are:
Before World War II, almost 70% of the population of Popovac was made up of Danube Swabians. In November 1944, virtually the entire German population of the village was evacuated. They settled permanently in Göttingen.
Popovac is situated between border with Hungary in the north-west, municipality of Draž in the north-east, municipality of Kneževi Vinogradi in the south-east, and municipality of Beli Manastir in the south-west.
The municipality of Popovac includes the following settlements:
There is an elementary school in Popovac with 169 students and teaching staff of 23.
- "Općine na područjima posebne državne skrbi Republike Hrvatske" (PDF). Croatian Chamber of Economy. Retrieved 15 April 2020.
- "Population by Age and Sex, by Settlements, 2011 Census: Popovac". Census of Population, Households and Dwellings 2011. Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.
- Lovrinčević, Željko; Davor, Mikulić; Budak, Jelena (June 2004). "AREAS OF SPECIAL STATE CONCERN IN CROATIA- REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT DIFFERENCES AND THE DEMOGRAPHIC AND EDUCATIONAL CHARACTERISTICS". Ekonomski pregled, Vol.55 No.5-6. Archived from the original on 18 August 2018. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- "Population by Ethnicity, by Towns/Municipalities, 2011 Census: County of Osijek-Baranja". Census of Population, Households and Dwellings 2011. Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.
- "'Folksdojčeri odavno obilaze naša imanja'". Večernji list (in Croatian). 2 December 2005. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Popovac, Osijek-Baranja County.|
|This Osijek-Baranja County geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|