Playing with Knives
"Playing with Knives" is a song by British dance group Bizarre Inc. It was their second single released through Vinyl Solution (their fourth single overall), as well as their second single to be written and produced as a trio. It is also the first single from their debut full-length album Energique. The song originally reached number 43 in the UK Singles Chart in March 1991. It was re-released later the same year and peaked at number 4 in the UK charts. In 1999, the song was released for a third time, charting at a peak of number 30.
|"Playing with Knives"|
|Single by Bizarre Inc|
|from the album Energique|
|A-side||"Playing with Knives" (Quadrant Mix)|
(Out of the Blue Studios, Manchester)
|Length||6:46 (Quadrant Mix)|
3:22 (radio edit / video version)
3:19 (1999 version radio edit)
|Songwriter(s)||Andrew Meecham, Dean Meredith, Carl Turner|
|Bizarre Inc singles chronology|
Sampling and covers versionsEdit
- "Playing with Knives" uses vocal samples from the 1990 house track "Shelter Me" by Circuit. Later in 1991, Circuit released a remix of "Shelter Me" known as the Retaliation Mix, which itself samples the acid bassline from "Playing with Knives".
- The American/British act Blue Pearl used the song as their basis for their 1991 single "(Can You) Feel the Passion," which went on to be a bigger hit in the United States, reaching number one on Billboard's Dance Club Songs chart in 1992. The group mentions "Playing with Knives" in the chorus.
- Parts of the song were sampled in the 1994 hit dance single "The Rhythm of the Night" by Corona.
- In 2011 Angie Brown covered the song with Rachel Ellektra. Their version was released as "Playing with Knives 2011".
- In 2014 the song's sample was used in the single "Got to Be Good" by Peter Gelderblom and Randy Colle.
- In 2015 a sample appeared in "Ruffnek" by FineArt.
- Elements of the song can be heard in the chorus hook of the Pet Shop Boys' 2016 single "The Pop Kids."
- The piano riffs was sampled in RatPack’s 2017 track “Got To Have Your Love.”
- 1991 release (STORM 25) – Playing with Knives
- A1. "Playing with Knives" (Quadrant Mix)
- B1. "Playing with Dub"
- B2. "Strings"
- 1991 release (STORM 25R) – Playing with Knives (The Climax)
- A1. "Playing with Knives" (The Climax)
- B1. "Playing with Knives" (Love 91)
- B2. "Playing with Knives" (Quadrant Radio Mix)
- 1991 re-release (STORM 38) – Playing with Knives / Plutonic
- A. "Playing with Knives" (Quadrant Mix)
- B. "Plutonic"
- 1999 re-release (VC01) – Playing with Knives
- 1. "Playing with Knives" (Radio Edit)
- 2. "Playing with Knives" (Tall Paul Mix)
- 3. "Playing with Knives" (Dillon and Dickins Mix)
- 4. "Playing with Knives" (Tarrentella Mix)
- 5. "Playing with Knives" (Al Scott Mix)
|UK Singles Chart||4|
|UK Singles Chart||30|
- "Spirit of Ecstasy - Various Artists - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". UK Singles Chart. 17 March 1991. Retrieved 11 November 2016.