Plasan Sand Cat
The Sand Cat (Hebrew: פלסן קרקל, also Plasan Caracal) is a composite armored vehicle designed by Plasan of Israel. It is based on a commercial Ford F-Series chassis shortened to a 2.84 m (112 in) wheelbase by Manning Equipment of Louisville, Kentucky, United States. Originally designed as a potential replacement for the AIL Storm jeeps of the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), they have since developed numerous versions of the vehicle from 4 to 6 tons to transport up to 8 soldiers. Examples have undergone trials by the IDF in Israel and the U.S. Army at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland.
|Plasan Sand Cat|
An early model Plasan Sand Cat
|Place of origin||Israel/United States|
|Used by||See Operators|
|Wars||War in Afghanistan
Mexican Drug War
|Manufacturer||Plasan / Oshkosh Corporation / IBN Industrias Militares/IBN Military Industries|
|Width||2 m (79 in)|
|Armor||Variable level armor kits|
|Remote weapon station (optional)|
|Engine||6.0 L Power Stroke diesel V8|
|Transmission||5-speed 5R110W automatic|
A heavily armored version of the Sand Cat featuring ceramic body parts was presented to the U.S. military at the Platform System Demonstrator event in August 2006. At the 2008 Eurosatory, the Sand Cat was shown branded as an Oshkosh Corporation product.
The new Sand Cat Stormer featuring more ballistic resistance and new advanced technologies will be produced by IBN Industrias Militares/ IBN Military Industries (INBRA USA INC) in 2016.
The Sand Cat was first shown publicly as the Caracal at the AUSA show in October 2005. It has since been presented at various shows including the 2005 Milipol law enforcement show in Paris, the 2006 Mid-America Trucking Show, and 2006 Eurosatory under the name "Sand Cat".
In June 2008, the Sand Cat was relaunched as a product of Oshkosh Defense. Now based on the 9-ton F550 chassis, it is being pitched to fill the gap between the armored HMMWV and the anticipated JLTV. The Oshkosh Sand Cat includes lessons learned from the MRAP series and features impact-absorbing suspended seats and a V-hull to add underbelly armor protection. In 2010 the SandCat was upgraded with twice the underbody blast protection of previous versions. The Sand Cat Tactical Protective Vehicle was first unveiled in LAAD 2011.
The design was described by Israeli car magazine Hegeh as being "as sexy as a female air-force commander". The trapezoid shaped side windows are designed to reduce the weight of transparent armor without adversely affecting the field of vision.
The fully armored body utilises a combination of armored steel, ceramics, and composites to provide a field replaceable modular armor package at various threat levels. The Sand Cat is reported to have excellent handling and acceleration for an armored vehicle. The interior can accommodate an open stretcher.
- Sand Cat Utility
- Sand Cat Transport
- Sand Cat SOV: Unveiled at the Defence Vehicle Dynamics (DVD) 2009 exhibition, it's marketed to countries for military special forces that require a mobile vehicle to operate in isolated locations.
- Sand Cat Plus: In July 2007 Plasan released information about a new version of the Sand Cat, the "Sand Cat Plus". Featuring a station wagon style body and 8 seats it was designed as a low-profile vehicle for use by elite units. In contrast to the military Sand Cat, the Plus is fitted with full side body mouldings and is painted in civilian colors. Despite the SUV appearance it still has a high level of armor as well as NBC and fire suppression systems. It has a very small turning circle and has been described as surprisingly quick for a 7 ton vehicle.
- Sand Cat Stormer
- Sand Cat M-PLV: Exhibited in 2010, the Mine-Protected Light Patrol Vehicle is meant for missions that requires protection from mine blasts, IEDS and AP ammunition.
- Sand Cat TPV
- Sand Cat MX: A Mexican-made variant made for the Mexican military.
- Sand Cat Granite: an advanced reconnaissance vehicle based on IAIs’ EL/I-3302 Intelligence Surveillance & Reconnaissance Vehicle (ISRV) developed by Elta.
- Barrett, Rick (2010-06-16). "Oshkosh creates new patrol vehicle". JSOnline. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "Nuevos Vehiculos Oshkosh Sandcat TPV para el Ejercito - Página 3". Defensamexico.activoforo.com. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- חדשות הרכב מישראל ומהעולם, הכל על מכוניות (in Hebrew). Motocar. Archived from the original on 2009-06-17. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- Across the desert in the Plasan SandCat. Top Gear. 2016-08-09. Retrieved 2016-08-09.
- ""Sand cat" - All-Protected Combat Vehicle from Plasan Sasa". defense-update.com.
- Schoenberger, Robert (2006-10-19). "Manning plans military vehicle on Ford frames". The Courier Journal. Archived from the original on 2007-10-22. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-01-23. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "Internet Archive Wayback Machine". Web.archive.org. 2007-09-27. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- ""Sand cat" - All-Protected Combat Vehicle from Plasan Sasa". Defense-update.com. 2008-12-17. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "BATTLESPACE - In this issue". Battle-technology.com. 2008-12-03. Archived from the original on 2012-02-05. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "Fabricarán blindados Sandcat en México". Estado Mayor (in Spanish). Retrieved 2015-12-11.
-  Archived December 8, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "DefesaNet - LAAD 2011 - Oshkosh Defense lança o SandCat Tactical Protector Vehicle na América Latina durante a LAAD 2011".
- Blindajes Epel. "Sand Cat" (in Spanish).
- Hegeh b'Shetach, May 2006 p.38[full citation needed]
- "BATTLESPACE - Companies Directory". Battle-technology.com. Archived from the original on 2012-02-16. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- ""Sand cat" - All-Protected Combat Vehicle from Plasan Sasa". Defense-update.com. 2006-05-25. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "Oshkosh Defense Demonstrates New SandCat™ Vehicle at U.K. Ministry of Defense Event - Oshkosh Defense". 23 January 2017.
- "Oshkosh to Launch Special Operations SandCat Armored Vehicle at DVD". 12 March 2016.
- "Wayback Machine". 23 June 2014.
- "פרי המלחמה - וואלה! רכב". Cars.walla.co.il. 2012-05-30. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "A New Israeli Sandcat Spoted in Paris - Defense Update:". 23 October 2016.
- Administrator. "SandCat M-LPV mine protected light patrol vehicle data sheet specifications information description". www.armyrecognition.com.
- "Oshkosh Defense to Demonstrate New SandCat M-LPV Performance Capabilities at DVD 2010 - Oshkosh Defense". 14 June 2014.
- Malyasov, Dylan. "Blindajes Epel develops the Sandcat MX armoured vehicles in Mexico - Defence Blog". defence-blog.com.
- "Azərbaycanın İsraildən aldığı "Sand Cat" maşınlarının təqdimatı keçirilib – FOTOLAR". 25 June 2016.
- http://m3web.bg, M3 Web -. "Bulgaria Receives 25 SandCat Armored Vehicles from Israel - Novinite.com - Sofia News Agency".
- Adamowski, Jaroslaw (8 August 2017). "Bulgaria Halts Guardian, Sand Cat Armored Vehicle Procurements".
- "Colombia selects the Oshkosh Sandcat". Army Recognition. 2012-12-20. Retrieved 2012-12-20.
- "Plasan armors Sand Cats for Israel Police". Globes.co.il. 2008-12-17. Archived from the original on 2012-02-12. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "קרקל - העידן החדש". 4x4.co.il. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "Казахстан приобрел американские бронеавтомобили "SandCat"" (in Russian). Военный информатор. 2015-04-20. Retrieved 2015-04-21.
- TengrinewsTV (7 May 2015). "Самый масштабный парад в истории Казахстана прошел в Астане" – via YouTube.
- "Combatirán al crimen con el "gato de arena" - El Universal - Mêxico". El Universal. 2011-02-05. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- Navit, Zomer (2011-02-28). "Plasan wins Mexican defense bid". Ynetnews. Retrieved 2012-09-19.
- John Pike (2011-04-11). "Oshkosh Defense Introduces SandCat Tactical Protector Vehicle in Latin America at LAAD 2011". Globalsecurity.org. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "Plasan SandCat 4x4 czyli Szop". Defense24.org. 2015-09-08.
- "South Korean Marine Corps has test fire Spike NLOS anti-tank guided missile from SandCat vehicle". Army Recognition. 2016-08-08. Retrieved 2016-08-08.
- Alina Dumitrache (2011-04-12). "Oshkosh SandCat TPV Goes to Latin America". Autoevolution.com. Retrieved 2015-12-19.
- Malyasov, Dylan. "Security Service of Ukraine received first SandCat Armored Vehicles - Defence Blog". defence-blog.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Plasan Sand Cat.|