Faipule Pio Iosefo Tuia ) has been six times Ulu o Tokelau, head of government of Tokelau. The position of ulu rotates annually between the three faipule (one for each of the three atolls), who are elected for terms lasting three years. Tuia has served as ulu for the sixth time since February 2011 and is the faipule of Nukunonu. He is also a member of the Council for the Ongoing Government of Tokelau.(born 1943
It was under Tuia's leadership that Tokelau became, in November 2011, a founding member of the Polynesian Leaders Group, a regional grouping intended to cooperate on a variety of issues including culture and language, education, responses to climate change, and trade and investment.
Tuia's six terms:
- February 1996–February 1997
- February 1999–February 2000
- February 2002–February 2003
- February 2005–February 2006
- February 2008–21 February 2009
- Government of Tokelau
- "NZ may be invited to join proposed ‘Polynesian Triangle’ ginger group", Pacific Scoop, 19 September 2011
- "New Polynesian Leaders Group formed in Samoa", Radio New Zealand International, 18 November 2011
- "American Samoa joins Polynesian Leaders Group, MOU signed". Samoa News. Savalii. 20 November 2011. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "Queen's Birthday honours list 2006". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. 5 June 2006. Retrieved 4 May 2020.