Pikesville High School
Pikesville High School (PHS) is a four-year public high school in Baltimore County, Maryland, United States. It is part of the Baltimore County Public Schools consolidated school district. The school was opened in 1964 as Pikesville Senior High School with grades 9-11 and was renamed in the mid-1980s as part of a county-wide grade realignment. The classes currently span on 80 minute periods with an A and B day schedule. The school has recently received a $40 million renovation, including a math wing and science wing that replaced a single hallway of rooms and adjacent courtyard. The other courtyard was filled with more learning spaces. The cafeteria was expanded along with asbestos removal.
|Pikesville High School|
7621 Labyrinth Road
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Baltimore County Public Schools|
|Principal||Reid, Sandra G|
|Hours in school day||6½|
|School colour(s)||Purple and White|
|Website||Pikesville High School Website|
The school is located in the community of Pikesville, just inside Baltimore County to the northwest of Baltimore City. It is located on the corner of Smith Avenue and Labyrinth Road. The school's district borders Towson High School, Dulaney High School, Owings Mills High School, New Town High School, Randallstown High School, Milford Mill High School, and Woodlawn High School.
In 2005, Pikesville High was named as one of the top 100 America's best high schools.
The graduation rate at Pikesville is fairly high, having been steady at 89–95% between 1996 and 2007. The current graduation rate of Pikesville High is over 95%. Pikesville has a large enrollment of minority students. The racial makeup of the student body is 45.6% African American, 39.0% White, 8.1% Asian, 5.4% Hispanic, and 2.1% two or more races.
- 1986 - Baseball, Class B
- 2000 - Golf, Class 2A-1A
- 2001 - Golf, Class 2A-1A
- 2001 - Boys Lacrosse, Class 2A-1A 
- 2004 - Boys Lacrosse, Class 2A-1A
- 2009 - Boys Lacrosse, Class 2A-1A
- 2013 - Boys Indoor Track, Class 1A
- 2014 - Girls Indoor Track, Class 1A
- 2014 - Boys Outdoor Track & Field, Class 1A
- 2016 - Boys Soccer, Class 1A
- 2002 - Boys Outdoor Track & Field, Class 2A
- 2006 - Girls Lacrosse, Class 1A2A
- 2007 - Girls Lacrosse, Class 1A2A
- 2009 - Softball, Class 2A-1A
- 2013 - Boys Soccer, Class 1A
- 2014 - Boys Indoor Track, Class 1A
- 2009- Football, Class 2A-1A
Pikesville's tennis team has won the county championship 41 out of 44 years. The Badminton team has won many county Championships as well.
Clubs and teams at the school include Spanish club, Jewish Culture Club, Christian Club, Interact, Key Club, Young Democrats and Republicans, National Honor Society, and Science Club. Many of the teams include Model UN, Model OAS, It's Academic, Mock Trial, and Model Congress.
- Matt Halpern - drummer for Periphery (band)
- Miša Aleksić - bass guitarist for Riblja Čorba
- Elise Burgin - professional tennis player
- David Felinton - Mayor of Huntington, West Virginia (2001 to 2009)
- Karen Hesse - author
- Jeffrey Kluger - author of Lost Moon: the Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13, the basis of the movie Apollo 13
- Daniel Lipman - Emmy Award-winning television writer of An Early Frost and Queer as Folk
- Ken Mehlman - former chairman of the Republican National Committee (2005 to 2007)
- Jeff Pinkner - television writer and producer known for his work on Alias and Lost
- Marc E. Platt - producer of Legally Blonde.
- Mike Sager - best-selling author
- Dave Sandler - traffic reporter for WBAL and 98 Rock
- Wendy Sherman - former chief nuclear negotiator for the U.S. State Department
- Bert Vogelstein - oncologist at The Johns Hopkins Medical School and Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Ellis Weiner - author
- Bobby Zirkin - Maryland State Senator
- Gary Gensler - named CFO of Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign 2015. Served in the United States Department of the Treasury as Assistant Secretary for Financial Institutions from 1997-1999
- Fictional Alumni
References and notesEdit
- "The 100 Best High Schools in America". Newsweek. May 16, 2005.
- Maryland Report Card
- Maryland Report Card
- Maryland Report Card
- Maryland State Department of Education
- MPSSAA Golf Archived 2005-03-07 at the Wayback Machine
- MPSSAA Lacrosse Archived 2005-03-08 at the Wayback Machine
- Miša Aleksić biography at Riblja Čorba official website
- Baltimore County Public School Alumni
- Distinguished Alumni of the Pikesville High School
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pikesville High School.|
- Pikesville High School website