Piano Sonata No. 8 (Mozart)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Piano Sonata No. 8 in A minor, K. 310 / 300d, was written in 1778. The sonata is the first of only two Mozart piano sonatas in a minor key (the other being No. 14 in C minor, K. 457). It was composed in the summer of 1778 around the time of his mother's death, one of the most tragic times of his life.
|Piano Sonata in A minor|
|by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart|
Mozart, 1777 copy of a lost painting
|Catalogue||K. 310 / 300d|
|Movements||Three (Allegro maestoso, Andante cantabile con espressione, Presto)|
Little is known about the precise circumstances surrounding the composition of the sonata; unlike the earlier Sonata in C major, K. 309/284b, it was little mentioned in his correspondence. The surviving manuscript was written using the same type of paper that was used for the Symphony in D major, K. 297/300a, which Mozart purchased while in Paris.
The composition, which typically takes around 22 minutes to perform, is in three movements:
- Irving, John (2010). Understanding Mozart's Piano Sonatas. Ashgate Publishing Ltd. ISBN 978-0-7546-6769-8.
- Jaffe, Jane Vial (2015). "Program Notes: Piano Sonata in A minor, K. 300d (K. 310)". Parlance Chamber Concerts.}
- Keefe, Simon P., ed. (2015). Mozart Studies 2. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-1-107-04423-4.
- Levin, Robert D. "Mozart and the Keyboard Culture of his time" (PDF). Bar-Ilan University.
- Moylan, Andrew L. (2014). Venerable Style, Form, and Avant-Garde in Mozart's Minor Key Piano Sonatas K. 310 and K. 457: Topic and Structure (M.Mus). University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- Thomas, Derek (2015). "The Formal Structure and Biographical Significance of Mozart's Sonata No. 8 K.310 Movement I Allegro Maestoso" (PDF). Belmont University.
- Media related to Piano Sonata No. 8 (Mozart) at Wikimedia Commons
- Sonate in a KV 310 (300d): Score and critical report (in German) in the Neue Mozart-Ausgabe
- Piano Sonata No. 8: Scores at the International Music Score Library Project (IMSLP)
- Video on YouTube, Emil Gilels
|This article about a sonata is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|