This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Philip Stone (14 April 1924 – 15 June 2003) was an English actor, well-known for portraying film characters such as "Pa", the father of Alex DeLarge, in A Clockwork Orange; General Alfred Jodl in Hitler: The Last Ten Days; Delbert Grady in The Shining; and Captain Philip Blumburtt in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Stone's final film role was as the Bishop in The Baby of Mâcon.
Stone in A Clockwork Orange (1971)
|Died||15 June 2003 (aged 79)|
|Other names||Philip Stones|
(m. 1978; died 1984)
He was the only actor to appear in three consecutive Stanley Kubrick films. First, he played the central character Alex's "P" (as in "M" and "P" for "Ma" and "Pa") in A Clockwork Orange (1971). Subsequently, he played Graham, the Lyndon family lawyer, in Barry Lyndon (1975), and Delbert Grady, the original caretaker who murdered his family in The Shining (1980). Stone was discovered when Kubrick saw him perform in David Storey's stage play, The Contractor. The only other actor to be credited in three Kubrick films is Joe Turkel.
Other film roles included parts in Thunderball, Where Eagles Dare, Quest for Love, Flash Gordon and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. In the 1978 Ralph Bakshi's animated film The Lord of the Rings, he voiced the role of Théoden.
Stone was married to Margaret Pickard until her death in 1984.
- Unearthly Stranger (1964) – Prof. John
- Never Mention Murder (1964) – Inspector
- Thunderball (1965) – SPECTRE No. 5 (uncredited)
- Where Eagles Dare (1968) – Sky Tram Operator (uncredited)
- Two Gentlemen Sharing (1969) – Mr. Burrows – Ethene's Father
- Fragment of Fear (1970) – CID Sergeant
- Carry On Loving (1970) – Robinson
- The Man Who Had Power Over Women (1970) – Angela's Father
- Quest for Love (1971) – Mason
- Carry On at Your Convenience (1971) – Mr. Bulstrode (scenes deleted)
- A Clockwork Orange (1971) – Dad
- O Lucky Man! (1973) – Jenkins / Interrogator / Salvation Army Major
- Hitler: The Last Ten Days (1973) – Gen. Alfred Jodl
- Barry Lyndon (1975) – Graham
- Voyage of the Damned (1976) – Secretary
- It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet (1977) – Jack
- The Medusa Touch (1978) – Dean
- The Lord of the Rings (1978) – King Thedeon / Uglúk – Hai Captain (Voice)
- S.O.S. Titanic (1979, TV Movie) – Capt. Arthur Rostron
- The Shining (1980) – Delbert Grady
- Flash Gordon (1980) – Zogi, the High Priest
- Green Ice (1981) – Jochim Kellerman
- Pope John Paul II (1984) – Archbishop Baziak
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) – Captain Philip Blumburtt
- Yes, Minister (1984) – Duncan (Party Games)
- Shadowlands (1985) – Harry Harrington
- The Baby of Mâcon (1993) – The Bishop
- Philip Stone, roles and actor credits; Aveleyman website; accessed 2 April 2015.
- "Actor`s page Philip Stone, 14 April 1924, Kirkstall, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, UK - Toronto Movies". Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- "Philip Stone - Telegraph". Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Robey, Tim, "Kubrick's Neglected Masterpiece," in Telegraph Review (Saturday 31 January 2009), pp. 16-17
- "Philip Stone Versatile actor who appeared in Carry On films and was a favourite of Stanley Kubrick – HeraldScotland". Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- "Philip Stone – Behind The Voice Actors". Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Philip Stone – British actor (1924–2003) – Silver Sirens". Retrieved 4 January 2018.