|Grass Rivulet (Perizoma albulata) imago|
Denis & Schiffermüller, 1775
|Over 150 species|
Emmelesia Stephens, 1829a
Perizoma is a genus in the geometer moth family (Geometridae). It is the type genus of tribe Perizomini in subfamily Larentiinae. The tribe is considered monotypic by those who include the genera Gagitodes, Martania and Mesotype in Perizoma. Some other less closely related species formerly placed here are now elsewhere in the Larentiinae, e.g. in Entephria of the tribe Larentiini.
Either way, there are more than 150 species of Perizoma currently known, with a generally Northern Hemisphere distribution (e.g. 14 occurring in Europe), and new ones still being described occasionally. Many of them are called rivulets ("the" rivulet is P. affinitata specifically), while others are known as "carpets", a common name for Larentiinae in general.
One of its junior synonyms is Emmelesia, proposed by J.F. Stephens no less than three times – once validly in 1829, and within the next two years twice more invalidly. Another invalid name of Perizoma – Opisogonia, chosen by G.A. Herrich-Schäffer in 1856 – had already been used by the same author the year before for a different geometer moth genus.
- Pitkin & Jenkins (2004b), FE (2011)
- Pitkin & Jenkins (2004ac)
- FE (2011), and see references in Savela (2008)
- Gunathilagaraj Kandasamy (2016). Checklist of Indian Geometridae with FBI number.docx. - Tamil Nadu Agricultural University
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Perizoma.|
- Fauna Europaea (FE) (2011): Perizoma. Version 2.4, 2011-JAN-27. Retrieved 2011-APR-21.
- Pitkin, Brian & Jenkins, Paul (2004a): Butterflies and Moths of the World, Generic Names and their Type-species – Opisogonia Herrich-Schäffer, 1855. Version of 2004-NOV-05. Retrieved 2011-APR-21.
- Pitkin, Brian & Jenkins, Paul (2004b): Butterflies and Moths of the World, Generic Names and their Type-species – Perizoma. Version of 2004-NOV-05. Retrieved 2011-APR-21.
- Pitkin, Brian & Jenkins, Paul (2004c): Butterflies and Moths of the World, Generic Names and their Type-species – Zerynthia Curtis, 1830. Version of 2004-NOV-05. Retrieved 2011-APR-21.
- Savela, Markku (2008): Markku Savela's Lepidoptera and some other life forms – Perizoma. Version of 2008-JUN-01. Retrieved 2011-APR-21.
|This Larentiinae moth related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|