Pembrey and Burry Port railway station
Pembrey and Burry Port railway station is a railway station on the West Wales line serving Pembrey and Burry Port, in Carmarthenshire, Wales. It is adjacent to Burry Port's main shopping area. Pembrey is situated 2 km to the west.
|Pembrey and Burry Port|
|Welsh: Pen-bre a Phorth Tywyn|
|Managed by||Transport for Wales|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
In 2012, Network Rail had threatened to remove the Victorian bridge due to its poor state of repair. However, a local campaign to save the bridge was successful. In January 2020, the footbridge was removed to be refurbished. It will be strengthened, decorated and a new decking will be added. It follows work in 2013 to add lighting to the bridge.
In the other direction there is an hourly service to Carmarthen, running either non-stop or stopping at Kidwelly and Ferryside, with a two-hourly extension to Milford Haven via Whitland and Haverfordwest.
All of these services are operated by Transport for Wales.
Great Western Railway operate one daily service between Carmarthen and London Paddington (to London in the morning & back in the evening Mon-Sat). This saves having to travel to Swansea and change trains. On summer Saturdays an extra service runs through to Pembroke Dock. This service departs London Paddington at 08:45 and arrives at Pembroke Dock at 14:14. On Sundays, a more frequent service operates (three trains each way from early afternoon).
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Llanelli||Transport for Wales
West Wales line
|Kidwelly or Carmarthen|
|Llanelli||Great Western Railway
London - Carmarthen
- Body, G. PSL Field Guide - Railways of the Western Region, Cambridge: Patrick Stephens, 1983, p. 148.
- Quick, M. Railway Passenger Stations in Great Britain - A Chronology. Oxford: Railway and Canal Historical Society, 2009
- Barrie, D.S.M. A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain, Vol.12 South Wales. Newton Abbott: David and Charles, 1980, p.39.
- Simmons, J. and Biddle, G. (eds) The Oxford Companion to British Railway History. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997, p.461
- Kay, P. Signalling Atlas and Signal Box Directory - Great Britain and Ireland. Wallasey: Signalling Record Society, 2010, p.25.
- GB eNRT 2018-19 Edition, Table 128
Media related to Pembrey and Burry Port railway station at Wikimedia Commons