This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
He gained popularity during a constitutional amendment referendum, where he was among a few members of a special parliamentary session, commissioned with preparing a draft for a new Constitution. He would later gain popularity in Tanzanian politics, first acting as the District commissioner for Kinondoni before being appointed regional commissioner by the current President of the Unite Republic of Tanzania John Pombe Magufuli. 
Makonda has been a very controversial politician in the city's politics often criticizing the opposition and in recent days staging a war against homosexuality and prostitution acts in Dar es salaam.
Nevertheless, he has been a front runner in championing development as well as undertaking various initiatives to improve the city's image and combating poverty.
- "Makonda: Hakuna tishio Dar es Salaam". 2019-06-20. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- AfricaNews (23 February 2017). "Tanzania: Top names listed in drug trafficking racket".
- "Tanzania to publish 'list of gay people' - The Herald".
- Kenya, Coastweek. "Coastweek - The most from the coast".
- "Polisi Tanzania wazuiwa kumkamata Mbowe". 21 February 2017 – via www.bbc.com.
- "Mahakama Kuu Tanzania yatoa amri ya muda Mbowe asikamatwe".
- Tremblay, Sophie (8 August 2016). "'Seeds of hate' sown as Tanzania starts LGBT crackdown" – via The Guardian.