Parveen Kumar Bala is a Fijian politician who currently serves as the Minister for Employment, Productivity, Industrial Relations, Youth and Sports. He previously served as Mayor of the Fijian town of Ba, and subsequently as Special Administrator of Lautoka, Fiji. He is a former president of the Fiji Local Government Association.
|Minister for Employment, Productivity, Industrial Relations, Youth and Sports.|
|Assumed office |
21 November 2018
|Prime Minister||Frank Bainimarama|
|Minister for Local Government, Housing and Environment|
23 September 2014 – 21 November 2018
Bala was first elected Mayor of Ba in 1996. He was re-elected unopposed by the town council on 28 October 2005, after leading his National Federation Party (NFP) to a landslide victory in the municipal elections held on 22 October, taking 14 of the 15 seats.
Bala attributed his victory to his policies and personnel. The NFP was, he claimed, the only political party promoting multiracialism and harmony, as evidenced by its multiracial slate of candidates. He accused the Fiji Labour Party of playing "gutter-level politics" in its unsuccessful campaign to oust him.
Bala was also an unsuccessful NFP candidate for the House of Representatives in the 2001 election. He polled 28 percent of the vote in the Ba East Indian Communal Constituency, a marginal improvement on Ram Lajendra's showing in the previous election of 1999. He made another attempt in the 2006 election; his vote dropped marginally, but by considerably less than that of most other NFP candidates in what was a bad year for the party.
On 7 December 2005, the NFP named Bala to a 3-member "negotiating committee", charged with negotiating electoral pacts with other political parties for the parliamentary election due in 2006.
Parveen Bala is the only mayor in Fiji to have served for 12 years continuously.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Parveen Bala.|
- "Members of Parliament". Parliament of the Republic of Fiji. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- "Ba ex-mayor says Fiji municipal reform was expected". Radio New Zealand International. 2 February 2009. Retrieved 29 December 2010.
- "Bala is new Lautoka Special Administrator". Fiji Gold. 8 May 2010. Archived from the original on 30 September 2011. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- "Nasinu mayor wins". Fiji Times. 15 April 2007. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- Felix Chaudhary (18 December 2010). "Timely gift for Ba town". Fiji Times. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- "2018 General Elections Dashboard". Fiji Elections Office. Retrieved 2 June 2020.