Partick Central railway station
Partick Central railway station was a station serving the Partick area of the city of Glasgow. Built in the 1890s by the Lanarkshire and Dunbartonshire Railway Company, it sat on a line that ran along the north bank of the River Clyde from Stobcross to Dumbarton.
The former station building for Partick Central, latterly used as an auction house
|Original company||Lanarkshire and Dunbartonshire Railway|
|1 October 1896||Opened|
|15 June 1959||Renamed as Kelvin Hall|
|5 October 1964||Station closed to passengers (line closed to Stobcross)|
|23 October 1978||Station completely closed (freight service from Yoker)|
|28 January 2007||Station building demolished|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
Passenger and goods services to the station ceased in 1964 when it closed as part of the Beeching cuts to rail services across the UK. The station building was later used as a workshop and an auction house before lying empty for a number of years. The remains of the platforms and trackbed, which were underneath the station building, have been removed but the railway's route is fairly discernible. The station's goods yard served as a site for travelling people and as a scrap merchants.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
Station open; Line partially open
|Lanarkshire and Dunbartonshire Railway
operated by Caledonian Railway
Line and station closed
Redevelopment of siteEdit
The site had been empty and awaiting redevelopment when in 2004 it emerged that the supermarket chain Tesco wished to develop a 24-hour operation there, in the face of local opposition. Tesco had the station building demolished on 28 January 2007, before planning permission had been given for the development from Glasgow City Council.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Partick Central railway station.|
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- Partick Central station on navigable OS map
- The Disused Partick Central Station