The Pansy Stakes was an American Thoroughbred horse race run annually for twenty-one years from 1890 through 1910 at Sheepshead Bay Race Track at Sheepshead Bay, New York. Open to two-year-olds under selling conditions it was raced over a distance of six furlongs and, not very common at the time, on turf.
|Discontinued stakes race|
|Location||Sheepshead Bay Race Track|
Sheepshead Bay, New York
|Race type||Thoroughbred – Flat racing|
|Qualification||Two years old|
The inaugural running of the Pansy Stakes took place on Friday, June 20, 1890. Sent off at 10-1 betting odds, Congressman William L. Scott's Vagabond upset the 2-1 favorite Lord Harry who would finish fourth.
The final edition of the Pansy Stakes was run on July 1, 1910 and was won by Peter Wimmer's filly Imprint.
The End of a Race and of a RacetrackEdit
Passage of the 1908 Hart–Agnew anti-betting legislation by the New York Legislature under Republican Governor Charles Evans Hughes led to a compete shutdown of racing in 1911 and 1912 in the state. The owners of Sheepshead Bay Race Track, and other racing facilities in New York State, struggled to stay in business without income from betting. Racetrack operators had no choice but to drastically reduce the purse money being paid out which resulted in the Pansy Stakes offering a purse in 1908 that was nearly 80% less than what it had been in earlier years. These small purses made horse racing unprofitable and impossible for even the most successful horse owners to continue in business. As such, for the 1910 racing season management of the Sheepshead Bay facility dropped some of its minor stakes races and used the purse money to bolster this turf race along with its most important events. A February 21, 1913 ruling by the New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division saw horse racing return in 1913. However, it was too late for the Sheepshead Bay horse racing facility and it never reopened.
- 1:12 4/5 @ 6 furlongs : Ethereal (1908)
Most wins by a jockey:
- No jockey won this race more than once.
Most wins by a trainer: (based on current info)
Most wins by an owner:
- No owner won this race more than once.
|1910||Imprint||2||Jimmie Reid||Peter Wimmer||Peter Wimmer||6 F||1:13.00||$1,150|
|1909||Helen Carroll||2||J. "Buddy" Glass||Andrew G. Blakely||Andrew G. Blakely||6 F||1:15.00||$340|
|1908||Ethereal||2||Jack Upton||John J. Hyland||Elmwood Park Stable||6 F||1:12.80||$440|
|1907||Royal Vane||2||Eddie Dugan||William A. McKinney||Charles E. Durnell||6 F||1:15.00||$2,035|
|1906||Frank Lord||2||Walter Miller||Archie Zimmer||Timothy D. Sullivan||6 F||1:15.60||$1,755|
|1905||Anodyne||2||Harry W. Baird||W. H. Snyder||W. H. Snyder||6 F||1:14.00||$2,035|
|1904||St. Bellane||2||Herman Phillips||William Shields||Edward R. Thomas||6 F||1:13.40||$2,750|
|1903||Nameoki||2||Willie Gannon||Frank D. Weir||Frank J. Farrell||6 F||1:15.00||$2,170|
|1902||Sergeant||2||Tommy Burns||William P. Burch||Francis R. Hitchcock||6 F||1:16.80||$1,245|
|1901||Cameron||2||Winfield O'Connor||Harry M. Mason||John G. Follansbee & Davis||6 F||1:14.20||$780|
|1900||Moor||2||Patrick A. McCue||W. Fred Presgrave||Goughacres Stable||6 F||1:15.80||$680|
|1899||The Bobby||2||George M. Odom||William P. Burch||William C. Eustis||6 F||1:15.00||$1,070|
|1898||Sir Hubert||2||Tod Sloan||Thomas Welsh||C. Fleischmann's Sons||6 F||1:14.40||$1,105|
|1897||Central Trust||2||Harry Hewitt||Henry Harris||John E. McDonald||6 F||1:15.00||$1,170|
|1896||Winged Foot||2||John J. McCafferty||John J. McCafferty||John J. McCafferty||6 F||1:15.40||$1,150|
|1895||Merry Prince||2||Henry Griffin||A. Jack Joyner||Blemton Stable||6 F||1:16.20||$1,170|
|1894||Havoc||2||William Penn||David A. Boyle||David A. Boyle||6 F||1:15.60||$1,690|
|1893||Cataract||2||Willie Simms||John Huggins||Rancocas Stable (Pierre Lorillard IV)||6 F||1:15.00||$1,460|
|1892||Extra||2||Fred Littlefield||Brookwood Stable||6 F||1:17.00||$1,325|
|1891||Ha'penny||2||Marty Bergen||John J. Hyland||David Gideon & John Daly||6 F||1:17.00||$1,480|
|1890||Vagabond||2||Isaac Lewis||Charles Leighton||William L. Scott||6 F||1:16.40||$1,395|
- "The Pansy Stakes". Daily Racing Form. 1909-07-08. Retrieved 2019-10-21 – via University of Kentucky Archives.
- "The Favorites Beaten". New York Times, page 8. 1890-06-21. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- "Winged Foot Won the Pansy Stakes". New York Times. 1896-07-08. p. 6. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- "Imprint Home First In Pansy Stakes". New York Times. 1910-07-02. p. 9. Retrieved 2019-01-29.
- "Penalties in the New York Bills". Daily Racing Form. 1908-01-18. Retrieved 2018-10-26 – via University of Kentucky Archives.
- "Race Track Bill Defeated In Senate; Measure Modifying Directors' Liability for Gambling Fails of Passage". The New York Times. July 14, 1911. Retrieved September 2, 2017.
- "Keep Up Betting Ban". New York Times. 1908-09-01. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Coney Island Clubs Sturdy Stand". Daily Racing Form. 1908-08-11. Retrieved 2019-02-03 – via University of Kentucky Archives.
- "Oral Betting Held Legal: Appellate Division of New York Supreme Court Renders Important Decision". Daily Racing Form. 1913-02-22. Retrieved 2019-06-29 – via University of Kentucky Archives.
- "Destruction Wrought by Hughes". Daily Racing Form. 1908-12-15. Retrieved 2018-11-30 – via University of Kentucky Archives.
- "Famous Old Track is Sold". Daily Racing Form. 1914-11-17. Retrieved 2018-11-30 – via University of Kentucky Archives.