This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Packt is a publishing company founded in 2003 headquartered in Birmingham, UK, with offices in Mumbai, India. Packt primarily publishes print and electronic books and videos relating to information technology, including programming, web design, data analysis and hardware.
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
Alongside traditional publishing activities, Packt supports and promotes open source projects and concepts. In March 2011, following its 'Believe in Open Source campaign' Packt announced that its donations to open source projects have exceeded $300,000.
Founded in 2003 Packt Publishing provides books, eBooks, video tutorials, and articles for software engineers, web developers, system administrators and users. The company claims that it supports and publishes books on smaller projects and subjects that standard publishing companies cannot make profitable. The company's business model, which involves print on demand publishing and selling direct, enables it to make money selling books with lower unit sales. The aim of this business model is to give authors high royalty rates and the opportunity to write on topics that standard publishers tend to avoid.
In 2018 Packts revenue reached 18.4 million pounds, a 28% increase over the previous year, attributed to increased market share over the period.
In 2019 Packt claimed it had published 6,500 books over its 16 years of operation.
Packt offers printed version of their books shipped to Europe, North America and selected Asian countries. In addition, they offer PDF versions of all of their books for download and in August 2010 began offering them in ePub and Mobi format. These eBooks were made free from digital rights management in March 2009. Packt books are also available via the Perlego platform, while some (but not all) are accessible on the Safari Books Online system.
PacktLib  is Packt's online digital book library. Launched in August 2010, PacktLib allows users to access and search across Packt's entire library of books.
Packt Enterprise and Packt Open SourceEdit
In April 2010, Packt launched two new brands, Packt Enterprise and Packt Open Source, with the release of Microsoft Silverlight 4 Data and Services Cookbook and Moodle 1.9 Theme Design. Packt Enterprise focuses on technologies produced by businesses for use in other corporations, while Packt Open Source focuses on technologies built around open source licences.
Open Source Project Royalties- Believe in Open SourceEdit
Packt supports and promotes Open Source projects and concepts. When a book written on an Open Source project is sold, Packt pays a royalty directly to that project. This scheme has resulted in the company providing sustainable revenues to many of the Open Source projects since 2004.
In March 2011, following its 'Believe in Open Source campaign' Packt announced that its donations to Open Source projects have surpassed the $300,000 mark.
Open Source AwardsEdit
The Open Source Awards, launched as the Open Source CMS Award in 2006, was created with the aim of encouraging, supporting, recognising and rewarding Open Source projects. The Open Source Award was re-launched in July 2010 to allow a wider range of Open Source projects to enter the contest.
Since 2006, Packt has run the Award annually, each time expanding the categories and prize money to benefit the Open Source community.
The winners in the 2011 Open Source Awards are as follows:
In April 2007, Packt launched its Article Network and now publishes around 20 articles each month. The Article Network is a free collection of articles and book excerpts written by professionals and developers from around the world. These articles cover technologies related to both the Packt Open Source brand, such as Ubuntu, and the Packt Enterprise brand, such as SOA.
- "PACKT PUBLISHING LIMITED - Overview (free company information from Companies House)". beta.companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 2020-02-04.
- "Our Birmingham Office - PACKT Books". www.packtpub.com.
- "Our Mumbai Office - PACKT Books". www.packtpub.com.
- "PACKT PUBLISHING LIMITED - Filing history (free information from Companies House)". beta.companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 2020-02-04.
- "Packt | Programming Books, eBooks & Videos for Developers". www.packtpub.com. Retrieved 2020-02-04.
- Packt Publishing removes DRM from their eBooks Archived 2009-03-17 at the Wayback Machine
- "Safari to make Packt titles available online". Information today. June 2008.
- "Perlego". www.perlego.com.
- "PacktLib", http://packtlib.packtpub.com/
- Packt Enterprise and Packt Open Source Have Launched Archived 2010-04-30 at the Wayback Machine
- What About Other Packt Books? Archived 2010-04-26 at the Wayback Machine
- "Packt Publishing Open Source CMS Award 2006: Vote Textpattern!", http://txpmag.com/article/packt-publishing-open-source-cms-award-2006-vote-textpattern, TXP Magazine, August 2006
- "Packt Publishing Believes in Open Source, Donates Over $300K to Projects", http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2011030900335OSBZCY
- "Open Source CMS Award Previous Winners", http://www.packtpub.com/open-source-cms-award-previous-winners Archived 2009-07-07 at the Wayback Machine
- "WordPress - The World Renowned CMS - WhoisWP".
- "Open Source Awards winners", http://www.packtpub.com/open-source-awards-home Archived 2011-01-04 at the Wayback Machine