Owls are an indie rock band from Chicago, Illinois. They were initially active from 2001-2002 and reunited in 2012. The band is composed of the original lineup of the experimental emo band Cap'n Jazz except guitarist Davey von Bohlen, who had gone on to form the influential band The Promise Ring. The lineup has included brothers Tim Kinsella and Mike Kinsella (vocals and drums, respectively), guitarist Victor Villareal and bassist Sam Zurick. Tim Kinsella and Zurick have also played together in Joan of Arc and Make Believe. Villarreal and Zurick played together in the instrumental rock group Ghosts and Vodka. The band signed to Jade Tree on May 3, 2001, and released their debut on July 31.
|Origin||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Genres||Indie rock, math rock, emo, post-rock, punk jazz|
|Years active||2001–02, 2012–present|
|Labels||Polyvinyl Record Co.|
|Associated acts||Joan of Arc|
Ghosts and Vodka
Owls reunited in March 2012. The band announced via Facebook on July 22, 2013 that they had completed work on a new record after 18 months of writing and were heading into the studio to record their second studio album. In January it was announced that the album would be titled Two. It was released on March 25, 2014.
- Oil CD (released on Thick Records)
- "Owls | Biography & History | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2018-06-03.
- "Tim & Mike Kinsella You Can't Miss What You Forget". exclaim.ca. Retrieved 2018-06-03.
- "News". Jade Tree. Archived from the original on June 15, 2001. Retrieved July 2, 2020.
- "Cap'n Jazz Official Facebook Page". Cap'n Jazz Official Facebook Page. March 27, 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-28.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-03-29. Retrieved 2014-04-04.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Stream Owls' new record, Two, in its entirety right now". Avclub.com. Retrieved 2020-03-10.