Our Souls at Night (film)
Our Souls at Night is a 2017 American romantic drama film directed by Ritesh Batra and written by Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber. It is based on the novel of same name by Kent Haruf. The film stars Robert Redford, Jane Fonda, Matthias Schoenaerts, and Judy Greer. It had its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival on September 1, 2017. It was released on September 29, 2017 by Netflix. It marked the fourth collaboration between Fonda and Redford, having previously starred in The Chase, Barefoot in the Park, and The Electric Horseman.
|Our Souls at Night|
Theatrical and Netflix release poster
|Directed by||Ritesh Batra|
|Based on||Our Souls at Night|
by Kent Haruf
|Music by||Elliot Goldenthal|
|Edited by||John F. Lyons|
The film received acclaim from critics, who appreciated the film's direction, adaptation from the novel, and performances (especially Fonda), with critics widely praising the casting of Fonda and Redford and their chemistry.
Louis Waters, a widower, and Addie Moore, a widow, have been neighbours for decades but hardly know each other. One night, Addie visits Louis to suggest that they spend the night together, non-sexually, to counter their loneliness. Although Louis is initially somewhat hesitant, he soon agrees and they start spending their evenings and nights at Addie’s house.
Through their conversations Louis and Addie grow closer, eventually sharing stories of their past. Addie discloses how the death of her eleven-year old daughter in an accident took a toll on her marriage, while Louis talks about an affair that almost ended his marriage.
At the start of the summer, Addie’s son Gene drops off his own son Jamie at Addie’s house, as his marriage has fallen apart. Jamie spends the entire summer with Louis and Addie, who also adopt a dog for Jamie. At the end of the summer, Gene returns to pick up Jamie and confronts Addie about her relationship with Louis, which he disapproves of, because of Louis’ past affair. Addie, however, refuses to break off the relationship.
Sometime later, Addie is hospitalised after a fall. Gene attempts to persuade Addie to move in with him, which Addie initially refuses. However, when she receives a distressed phone call from Jamie in the middle of the night, she reconsiders when she arrives at Gene’s house and finds a drunk Gene, who confesses he has always known that Addie blamed him for his sister’s death.
Addie then sells her house and moves in with Gene and Jamie, but soon rekindles her romance with Louis by telephone.
- Robert Redford as Louis Waters
- Jane Fonda as Addie Moore
- Iain Armitage as Jamie Moore, Gene's son and Addie's grandson
- Matthias Schoenaerts as Gene Moore, Addie's son and Jamie's father
- Judy Greer as Holly Waters, Louis' daughter
- Phyllis Somerville as Ruth Joyce, Addie's friend
- Bruce Dern as Dorlan Becker
- "Biennale Cinema 2017 - The films Out of Competition". 28 July 2017.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (July 7, 2016). "Netflix Taps Ritesh Batra To Direct Robert Redford-Jane Fonda Reteam 'Our Souls At Night'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "Filming begins for Netflix movie staring Jane Fonda, Robert Redford". KOAA. September 12, 2016. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- Evry, Max (September 9, 2016). "Robert Redford & Jane Fonda Re-Team for Our Souls at Night". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "'Our Souls at Night' films in northeast Colorado Springs". The Gazette. October 27, 2016. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- Hodderhose, Diana (July 17, 2017). "Jane Fonda & Robert Redford To Be Honored At Venice Film Festival; 'Our Souls At Night' To World Premiere". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 17, 2017.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (August 9, 2017). "'Our Souls At Night' Tease: Jane Fonda, Robert Redford Have A Sunday Kind Of Love". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 9, 2017.