Oren Burks (born March 21, 1995) is an American football linebacker for the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Vanderbilt, and was drafted by the Packers in the third round of the 2018 NFL Draft.
|No. 42 – Green Bay Packers|
|Born:||March 21, 1995|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||233 lb (106 kg)|
|High school:||South County (Lorton, Virginia)|
|NFL Draft:||2018 / Round: 3 / Pick: 88|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2019|
Burks attended South County High School in Lorton, Virginia. Rated as a 3-star prospect out of high school, Burks committed to Vanderbilt over other offers from Duke, Maryland, Boston College, and others.
In a game against Kentucky during his second year, Burks intercepted 2 passes, one of which was returned for a touchdown. This feat caused him to become the SEC defensive player of the week. Following his senior season, Burk was also invited to play in the 2018 Senior Bowl as an alternate.
|Oren Burks' NFL Combine Workout|
|Oren Burks runs the 40-yard dash|
|Height||Weight||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yard split||20-yard split||20-yard shuttle||Three-cone drill||Vertical jump||Broad jump||Bench press|
|6 ft 3 in
|33 3⁄8 in
|9 1⁄8 in
|4.59 s||1.59 s||2.64 s||4.15 s||6.82 s||39 1⁄2 in
|10 ft 11 in
|All values from NFL combine|
The Green Bay Packers selected Burks in the third round (88th overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft. The Green Bay Packers traded their fourth (101st overall) and fifth round (147th overall) picks in 2018 to the Carolina Panthers in exchange for the Panthers' third round pick which they used to select Burks. Burks was the 12th linebacker drafted in 2018.
|Packers draft Oren Burks 88th overall|
|NFL Draft Profile: Oren Burks|
Burks entered training camp slated as a backup inside linebacker. He competed against Antonio Morrison to be a starting inside linebacker after Jake Ryan sustained a torn ACL during training camp. Burks sustained a shoulder injury during pre-game warmups before the start of the Packers' third preseason game at the Oakland Raiders and was subsequently inactive for the first two regular season games (Weeks 1–2). Head coach Mike McCarthy named Burks a backup starting inside linebacker, behind Antonio Morrison, upon his return from injury. On September 23, 2018, Burks made his professional regular season debut and recorded two combined tackles during a 31–17 loss at the Washington Redskins in Week 3.
NFL career statisticsEdit
- Sparks, Adam (November 16, 2015). "Vanderbilt's Oren Burks earns SEC defensive award". The Tennessean. Retrieved March 19, 2018.
- Martin Smith, Alex. "Vanderbilt's Oren Burks gets (very) late Senior Bowl call". SECcountry.com. Retrieved March 19, 2018.
- Spofford, Mike (April 27, 2018). "Packers trade up, select Vanderbilt LB Oren Burks late in third round". Packers.com. Archived from the original on April 28, 2018. Retrieved April 28, 2018.
- "Green Bay Packers trade into third round, select LB Oren Burks in NFL Draft". Fox Sports. April 27, 2018. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Packers sign LB Oren Burks". Archived from the original on May 18, 2018. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- "Packers wrap up draft class by signing Oren Burks". ProFootballTalk. May 17, 2018. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- "Spotrac.com: Oren Burks contract". Spotrac.com. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Oren Burks' shoulder injury not serious, but Packers still trade for Colts linebacker Antonio Morrison". Madison.com. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Packers Week 1 injury report: No progress with Oren Burks' shoulder". acmepackingcompany.com. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Packers 2018 Depth Chart is Out". totalpackers.com. September 6, 2018. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "NFL Player stats: Oren Burks (2018)". National Football League. Retrieved October 1, 2018.