Order of Solomon
The Imperial Order of Solomon was an order of knighthood of the Ethiopian Empire founded in 1874. A special class Collar was created by Empress Zauditu in 1922. It was a split off from the Order of the Seal of Solomon and created as an independent order with a single grade of "Collar" by Emperor Haile Selassie I in 1930. Members are identified as a "Knight" or "Dame" of the Order of Solomon, with the use the post-nominal initials KS or DS.
|Imperial Order of Solomon|
|Type||Order presented to heads of state|
|Royal house||House of Solomon|
|Religious affiliation||Ethiopian Orthodox|
|Sovereign||Emperor of Ethiopia|
|Next (lower)||Imperial Order of the Seal of Solomon|
Ribband of the order
The Collar of the Order of Solomon is reserved for the Emperor and Empress, members of the Imperial Family, Foreign Sovereigns, and a maximum of three ordinary recipients who have rendered exceptionally meritorious services . Recipients were entitled to wear special ceremonial robes on "collar days".
The Solomonic dynasty, the ancient Imperial House of Ethiopia, claims descent from King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba, said to have given birth to King Menelik I after her visit to Solomon in Jerusalem.
As the Empire's principal Order, it featured first in the long list of knightly titles of the last ruling Emperor of Ethiopia, Haile Selassie, described as –
The Lion of Judah Hath Prevailed (or "[by the] Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah");
His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I, King of Kings of Ethiopia, Conquering Lion of Judah, Elect of God, Grand Cordon of the Order of Solomon, Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Solomon, Knight of the Garter, Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath, Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St Michael and St George...
- 1 Kings 10:1-10
- Ras Nathaniel, 50th Anniversary of His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie (Trafford Publishing, 2004, ISBN 1-4120-3702-6) p. 5 at books.google.com
- Transafrican Journal of History (Makerere University Dept. of History, University of Nairobi Dept. of History, Chuo Kikuu cha Dar es Salaam Dept. of History East African Pub. House, 1986) p. 140
- The Imperial Orders and Decorations of Ethiopia: the Order of Solomon - website of the Crown Council of Ethiopia
- Orders & Decorations of Ethiopia - website Royalark.net
- Ethiopia: The Order of Solomon - website Medals of the World
|This Ethiopian royalty–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to orders, decorations, and medals is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|